Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I?m well aware this could land me in a barrage of abuse from owners/ prospective owners and general GT fans, but as the title suggests - is the GT just snobbery?

My question comes about after reading some other threads with people kicking off big over the likes of 30cm of missing stitching etc. just because this is one of the things that separates their car from lower trim levels. Now this is okay but is the GT honestly worth the extra?

A salesman is my dealership I was talking to said he?s a snob because he has to drive a GT rather than a GT Line and he openly admitted it.

Point is I?m very happy with my Allure and there?s not much the GT has that I really miss (at least not that I know of, yet).

P.S. keep it friendly - don?t want to spark a trim level based riot

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dont think it snobbery at all if you stop and think about it and i know this will happen to me some "friends"will be saying oh its a peugeot my mate has got the BMW suv its much better .....
Err no its horses for courses if its what you want sod the rest
I was razzed when i got my Z "should have got the TT mate " my replys were not really for this site the upshot is if your happy with the active to the GT you are happy end of ...to be honest if somebody thinks they are better then it is them who has the problem

·
Administrator
2,878 Posts
Wow, Herbi, I'd get your tin hat on if I were you.

I bought the GT Line, not for snobbery, but purely on the kit it had which I wanted.

Looked at the Allure, but we wanted LED lights plus my wife really liked the idea of a contrasting roof colour.

Copper stitching was never a must have item.

By the time we'd have paid extra cash for LED, diamond black roof etc to spec up the Allure, we'd have gone over what the dealer wanted for the GT Line. Black inner roof lining, different cloth seat covering, mobile charging plate was all a bonus.

I assure you snobbery was never in our minds, whereas the spec was paramount.

Leather seats, massage seat funtion, and most importantly a 2 litre diesel was not what we needed hence we didn't go for a GT.

Paul

·
Registered
70 Posts
Also whos going to worry about gt/gtline/active/allure after your kids/grandkids have left sweeties on the dash in sunlight wifeys restyled the aerodynamics because its wider than she thought and the sandwiches you lost a year ago in the maze of cubby holes develop sentience of there own the council trying to recreate the somme with bomb craters instead of roads not to mention the wildlife with amoebic dysentery picking out the 3008 for special attention the asda distruction derby with the asda promise no car will leave unblemished ....stitching really wont matter he he

·
Registered
765 Posts
While i'm sure there are people who bought the GT for those reasons. My own decision was purely I wanted the most powerful diesel for towing and wanted an auto. But I also hate being in a car with missing buttons with blanking slots.

The GT in the 3008 is very bland in that there is no real difference from the outside so I can see why people hanker after a bit of visual difference. Maybe when the Gti comes along there will be a new set of owners looking down on the GT drivers in their pariah diesels ;)

·
Registered
408 Posts
On my side, the GT was cheaper to lease than the below trims with equivalent equipment. It was no brainer.

To me there is not much difference between trims (as soon as you equip them with all the options I mean), it is just a matter of residual value in my opinion.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I?m well aware this could land me in a barrage of abuse from owners/ prospective owners and general GT fans, but as the title suggests - is the GT just snobbery?

My question comes about after reading some other threads with people kicking off big over the likes of 30cm of missing stitching etc. just because this is one of the things that separates their car from lower trim levels. Now this is okay but is the GT honestly worth the extra?

A salesman is my dealership I was talking to said he?s a snob because he has to drive a GT rather than a GT Line and he openly admitted it.

Point is I?m very happy with my Allure and there?s not much the GT has that I really miss (at least not that I know of, yet).

P.S. keep it friendly - don?t want to spark a trim level based riot

Are you dug in? Seriously, I believe it’s all a matter of what you can afford and what you really want. Nothing to do with snobbery. As for owners kicking off about missing stitching, kit that doesn’t work or is non existent even though advertised that the vehicle has it, then they should get what they pay for.
As long as you are happy with what you have, does anything else matter. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Are you dug in? Seriously, I believe it’s all a matter of what you can afford and what you really want. Nothing to do with snobbery. As for owners kicking off about missing stitching, kit that doesn’t work or is non existent even though advertised that the vehicle has it, then they should get what they pay for.
Couldn’t have said it better Mike. :thumb:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I went for the Allure because personally I didn't like the black roof lining though I did had LED, Pan roof. key less. That was my choice and I am really happy with the result just as the GT and GT line owners must be

·
Registered
188 Posts
While i'm sure there are people who bought the GT for those reasons. My own decision was purely I wanted the most powerful diesel for towing and wanted an auto. But I also hate being in a car with missing buttons with blanking slots.

The GT in the 3008 is very bland in that there is no real difference from the outside so I can see why people hanker after a bit of visual difference. Maybe when the Gti comes along there will be a new set of owners looking down on the GT drivers in their pariah diesels ;)
The auto sort of defeats the object of towing as the manual can tow more weight ;)
So really you bought a GT because you want to be a snob? ;) :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ah... you can't be a snob when buying a Peugeot - it just doesn't compute. It is not a marque that's considered aspirational. If that sounds harsh it's not meant to, it's meant to sound factual. The simple fact is - you can pay around the same amount for a Peugeot 3008 and a VW Tiguan SEL (with plenty added, also 1 down from top-level trim) and one of those brands is simply more aspirational than the other (and not by much).

On the 3008 trim levels... I had targeted the Allure. I really had. I had gone through all the specs. and the things that I'd want to add. As a kind of back-up I had also looked deeply into the GT Line. Heck, I'd also looked at the GT but I knew that I didn't want that bought due to the larger wheels. On the day she managed to test drive a GT Line and we saw all the extra bits of chrome and exhaust tips and what-not... at that point only did it become the main target.

Looking at the equipment in the brochure I don't believe there's anything (apart from trims and GT Line emblems) that you can't have as an option on an Allure.

No, what the issue is here is simply this... people paid for what they were told they'd get. Some people aren't getting that. Some are being offered generous compensation, some are being bilked. That's gonna always stick in the throat. If you say "that's not good enough" then you unceremoniously get dumped. I don't think it's snobbery - it's actually about fair play.

No abuse for what you said.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I quite agree with you. Unfortunately they try and cover themselves by stating that specification is subject to change without notice, as if that's supposed to make it all OK about getting less, or something entirely different from what you ordered. As far as I'm concerned, once you have signed on the dotted line, if they then to decide to replace X and Y with something different, and delete Z altogether, they are in breach of contract.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Exactly what I said on the other thread which got rather heated.

If you order something that is advertised as having a gizmo then the item you receive should most definitely have that gizmo. That red stitching does seem trivial to a lot of people but for those that want the red stitching do so because it is the right aesthetic for them. I could well be the one thing that tipped them towards ordering that car because the detail of the stitching makes the car more attractive to them than the nearest equivalent that comes without the stitching.

If someone ordered a pair of hand made lace up shoes but were offered slip ons when they went to collect them it would be mayhem and let's face it, when you get right down to it - laces are nothing more than a kind of stitching :)

You should always get what you ask for, anything less is not what you ordered no matter how hard you try to trivialise the absent items. It's no different to ordering and paying for a car with cruise control then being expected to accept a car without cruise control for the same cost. And before anyone says you can't compare CC with stitching I'll pre-empt you and tell you most definitely you are wrong. It's exactly the same - in principle and it's the principle that is being debated.

As to wether it's snobbery well - if you bought it simply because of a badge or it's name being GT then yeah, maybe it is snobbery but if you bought it because it had the bells and whistles you wanted as standard (which comes in cheaper than a lower specification model with them as added options then how can that be classed as snobbery ? Snobbery is buying at the highest possible cost simply because you can afford it.

Asking that question is like asking if someone buying a used car chooses a 4 year old car over a 5 year old car of the same model is a snob. It just doesn't compute.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Of course, the car I bought is the best because the contrast stitching is copper-coloured, and the car body is copper-coloured.

The people that I really feel for are those that ordered a GT Line or GT in a different body colour, like one of the myriad greys or blue. They will not admit they're kicking themselves, but we know...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I quite agree with you. Unfortunately they try and cover themselves by stating that specification is subject to change without notice, as if that's supposed to make it all OK about getting less, or something entirely different from what you ordered. As far as I'm concerned, once you have signed on the dotted line, if they then to decide to replace X and Y with something different, and delete Z altogether, they are in breach of contract.
However, when the brochure in Jun and the brochure in Oct both say a thing is part of a package, it is perfectly reasonably to expect that thing if you ordered in between those dates, regardless of small print.

Ade

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I like all the colours, apart from those where they couldn't make up their minds at the factory, and did half the car in one, and half in another. My dealer has a half grey green, half black 3008 in the showroom. I've seen people stop and stare at it whilst I've been waiting, which is good if it's for the right reasons, but I don't think it is in this case.

·
Administrator
2,878 Posts
However, when the brochure in Jun and the brochure in Oct both say a thing is part of a package, it is perfectly reasonably to expect that thing if you ordered in between those dates, regardless of small print.

Ade
Think we wandering off topic now guys.

This thread is about GT snobbery or not, not about spec changes/amendments.

Paul

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I think it's not about snobbery at all. Unless you are a 3008 driver with a bit of an anorak you wouldn't be able to tell a GT Line from an Allure anyway.
If you was really a snob you wouldn't buy a Pug. You'd be driving an Evoque, Q5 or X3 because they're not French! Even if it had to be 10 years old because that's all you could afford. But hey, that don't matter it's a 'posh' marque.. so that makes me posh! Don't it???:eek:

Grumpy.

I brought it back on Topic Paul!! :lol:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I went for the GT Line for the extra kit that came with it over and above the Allure.
Had nothing to do with the stitching (or the warning light for my washer tank) so not sure where the "snobbery" has come from..

Think we all bought the car we wanted....or I did anyway:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts