Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a my car about a month now. 18reg 1.2 GT Line with 16k on it. Don't know how car was treated before I got it.

I came from a 305bhp Leon Cupra on standard suspension. The suspension was quite firm and you did feel every bump and lump. Very planted though at speed.

The 308 does feel softer, but I'm wondering if it’s too soft, perhaps faulty.

Pulling away the back dips slightly as handbrake releases. Over bumps it moves up and down more than the Leon. I also feel there's more side to side movement (head toss), like the rocking of a boat. Can feel the rear skipping on bends with uneven surfaces as well. This might be down to the beam rear as opposed to the independent rear of the Leon.

On bends the car does tighten up and feel ok. It’s just the softness over bumps. I did have the Leon 12yrs so was really used to how it drove.

I'm getting 4 tyres fitted at the weekend, so will inspect the shocks when i have the wheels off.

Are they just a bit softer than I'm used to. I'm enjoying more comfort mind you.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Rear end skipping slightly on hard cornering is a known design characteristic of the 308.

I have found fitting Michelin Cross Climate + tyres has really tamed that issue.

A GT Line is a sporty looking 308 but basically mechanically identical to the Allure spec apart from riding on 18" wheels - there will be nothing wrong with your suspension, it will be softer then your previous Leon.

GT Line = all show but no more go.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its Crossclimate + I'm having fitted :thumb:

Had summer/winter wheel and tyre setup for the Leon. Sold the winter wheels and selling the winter tyres.

I also noticed when waxing the car the rear bumper has quite abit of flex around the black trim at bottom.

Characteristics of the car I guess.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My understanding is that you have to step up to the GT to get the lower, stiffer suspension.

The GT line is really just aesthetics, mechanically it's similar to the Allure. And I don't know about the UK, but in continental Europe, the GT Line has 17" versus 18" wheels (GT), albeit the same design.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Are the shocks the same do you know?
I very much doubt it, the GT Line VIN I have access to doesn't actually list a part number for the rear shocks on the parts diagram.

I would try the car with the Cross Climate + tyres fitted on first before thinking of changing the suspension springs / shock absorbers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I change absorber and spring in my 308 Active+ 1.2 Puretech, I used the 308 GTI 270P by peugeot sport absorber and spring now,
it's feel so good in the road feedback, maybe you can consider this solution too.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im not going to change the suspension. Just something to consider if it needs changed out of warranty. Would consider the GT springs.

The cross climate + got fitted today. They look good. See how they go.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The cross climate + got fitted today. They look good. See how they go.
What spec CC+ went on your car then?

My Allure came with 225 / 45 R17 91 V spec tyres from the factory - due to availability at time of CC+ sizes I ended up fitting 225 / 45 R17 94 W XL spec tyres.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What spec CC+ went on your car then?

My Allure came with 225 / 45 R17 91 V spec tyres from the factory - due to availability at time of CC+ sizes I ended up fitting 225 / 45 R17 94 W XL spec tyres.
225/40/18 92Y XL.

Same spec as the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 that came off, although they were 92W.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I come from a Leon FR 150 to the GT 180 and I chose the GT because it offered more comfort in the suspension yet still can attack a road if I really want it.

Going from the Cupra - which would be very firm - to the GT Line will undoubtedly end up feeling like a completely different class of ride.

So don’t believe you’ve got an issue, you’re just comparing 2 very different ride qualities. ?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When changing the tyres and painting the hubs I found an oily mark on the offside rear shock.

I've cleaned it and will keep an eye on it to see if it comes back. Couldn't see the top of the shock where the piston goes in though. It might just have been on the body of the shock and not coming down from the top.

I had a 208 tech edition as a courtesy car a week after getting the 308. That even felt firmer at the rear over the same bumps.

The Cupra was firm mind you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts