Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that the GT badge on the tailgate of my car doesn't seem to be stuck down fully where the line comes out from the GT Letters. That's the right hand tip edge of the badge as you stand behind the car and look at it.

It looks like the very end of this badge (on my car anyway) doesn't have any sticky back to the end of it.

It's not been washed yet, but I can see this end of the badge catching when it is cleaned.

Please could another kind GT 180 owner confirm if your rear GT tailgate badge is the same, so I can flag it up.

Looking at the GT badges on the front wings (which look the same), they both appear correctly to have a sticky backing along the whole length of the badge and seem more firmly affixed.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Mine's the same, but both ends are slightly apart from the tail gate. Problem appears to be curved panel and flat badge so the ends are always pulling against the adhesive. The badges on the wings are the same but not quite so bad because the surface is flater. I'm not sure there is a great deal to be done other than replacing the badges and unless they use a stronger adhesive the same thing is bound to happen so I'll just monitor the situation for now.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not just my car then - Thanks for the response

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just checked my GT Line badge and it is not in contact with body at any of the outer edges, by about 1mm. I would suspect the answer is that the tape used is probably 3M , or equivalent, and this has a thin foam substrate which carries the adhesive on both sides, so you will get a slight gap. Just fitted some styling bits and they all have this tape on. Hope this helps

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah mine too. Was told by the dealer its the design, and normal

I've noticed that the GT badge on the tailgate of my car doesn't seem to be stuck down fully where the line comes out from the GT Letters. That's the right hand tip edge of the badge as you stand behind the car and look at it.

It looks like the very end of this badge (on my car anyway) doesn't have any sticky back to the end of it.

It's not been washed yet, but I can see this end of the badge catching when it is cleaned.

Please could another kind GT 180 owner confirm if your rear GT tailgate badge is the same, so I can flag it up.

Looking at the GT badges on the front wings (which look the same), they both appear correctly to have a sticky backing along the whole length of the badge and seem more firmly affixed.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just checked my GT Line badge and it is not in contact with body at any of the outer edges, by about 1mm. I would suspect the answer is that the tape used is probably 3M , or equivalent, and this has a thin foam substrate which carries the adhesive on both sides, so you will get a slight gap. Just fitted some styling bits and they all have this tape on. Hope this helps
Not checked our GT as the wife is out but As Tony says all these alloy badges use a double sided adhesive foam for fixing.

If the foam does not go right to the edges you can use Tape Floss to cut through the foam, then remove all residual glue with some glue remover, get yourself some adhesive foam of ebay (1mm thick) and make sure the foam covers the badge and remove any surplus with a model knife, then re attach.

I've removed a number of badges using floss for that de badged look over the years and is the only way to do it without any damage and costs peanuts.

cheers

Martin

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well, the wifes is the same. Not sure what brand of tape they use but lets just say it was far easier to remove that Audi Badges

clearly see the badge has come unstuck

this show how much of the badge has no adhesion

once removed with the floss you can clearly see the smooth finish on the top 20mm

badge with old foam removed, cleaned, degreased and new tape in place cut to shape, the badge has a slight recess so just use a model knife to cut along the lip

still a slight gap but at least its firmly stuck in place and not likely to catch it when cleaning it now:thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
When I went to my local dealership, I noticed the exact same thing on the GT and GT-LINE displayed.

Quite appalling to be sure. Don't tell me it's the first time they need to glue a badge !

I haven't looked on the other badges around the car : do you have the samme effect ?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Well, the wifes is the same. Not sure what brand of tape they use but lets just say it was far easier to remove that Audi Badges

clearly see the badge has come unstuck

this show how much of the badge has no adhesion

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WlIKxAiaATmvWMWM2

once removed with the floss you can clearly see the smooth finish on the top 20mm

https://photos.app.goo.gl/lc5c5GgovvAxYDcL2

badge with old foam removed, cleaned, degreased and new tape in place cut to shape, the badge has a slight recess so just use a model knife to cut along the lip

https://photos.app.goo.gl/n97EMqp7i8G2Cgfs2

still a slight gap but at least its firmly stuck in place and not likely to catch it when cleaning it now

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iuxRPo19DXzBgQzg1

Image 1 clearly shows a curved panel and straight badge as I said earlier. The badge will always try and peel away no matter how strong the adhesive is.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really appreciate all the responses and detail. Glad to know that its seems that all of our cars are the same.

On the parts system, the rear tailgate badge is a different part to the front wing badges. At a glance, I thought they were all the same.

I'll leave well alone I think, now I know its not actually a fault. As I only ever hand wash my cars, I shall just be a bit careful when doing the tailgate!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Having never seen a GT in the metal before I collected mine, I expected the badges to just say GT but they appear to have a line where the GTLine line is
ie GT-

so quite difficult to differentiate from the GTLine without really good eyesight.

One thing I do like is no reference to engine size/Hp/fuel on the tailgate so we can all be equal.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Resurrecting this old post. Sorry to ramble...

I have booked my car in for the centre armrest to be done (on occasion doesn't open - 0.3 hours) and whilst in the showroom, took the opportunity to look very closely at the brand new 2018 180 EAT8 GT. It was in full demo plugged in mode, so everything was live.

This had the Focal and full camera pack fitted which is now standard. I did notice the whole touchscreen seemed quicker and more responsive than my own car, whilst I was checking what software and map version it was on (as always, old!), but I wonder if this is because its plugged in. Anyway, opening the doors of a full leather car (showroom new) is fantastic, but then getting back in mine is exactly the same :lol:

I noticed that the GT badge on the back of the car on this 2018 model isn't unstuck at the end of it (like my own car) and was far better affixed. I also notice there is now a TSB on Servicebox for the badge, so I wonder if customers complain about it, they'll fit a new properly stuck on one now. Every time I wash my car, I always have to be careful I don't end up snagging it and it breaking off.

I'll live with mine rather than trust a dealer to attend to it, unless I can get hold of the TSB to see what is actually involved.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.