Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I've scoured the internet for ages and found nothing that relates, really. Intermittently I get a strange buzzing/ high pitched 'hum' sort of sound through my rear left speaker only. It's becoming more and more frequent, and has been present now for around 2 weeks. It happens even wirh the engine off, but with the engine running, it increases and decreases with the engine RPM. It can sometimes be a little staticy too. I've heard people mention grounding, bad amp, bad alternator etc but no symptoms seem to relate. I'm at a loss really. Is it a bad speaker maybe? Or a sign of something else? It only started happening after I had a dual mass flywheel replaced ages ago, could they have done something? It can be okay then going over a bump/pothole sets it off sometimes. When it starts, it starts with a 'pop' sound, then the him starts.

A clip of the sound (engine off):

https://youtu.be/AqXgPdbqXuw

Any ideas? Im clueless with cars so it looks like I'll have to take it to someone who knows what they're doing. I'd just really appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you!

·
Registered
764 Posts
"It happens even wirh the engine off". I doubt a ground loop isolator would help you in this scenario.

What car, what model, what stereo, what speakers do you have?

If everything is stock, it's most likely the headunit at fault or a wiring issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 2006 307cc, all stock. I've wedged my hand down the seat today and found a lighter, some change and a strange blue fob of some description in the speaker housing. It's difficult to access lol. One thing to note today it made a strange noise like a radio makes when a phone receives a text or call, briefly, for a split second. Was like it was picking up interference from somewhere. Never done that before.

Oh yeah it has JBL on the doors, forgot to mention.

·
Registered
764 Posts
What source have you got selected on the stereo? Does it happen when you have music playing through the stereo on CD and Radio for example?

If it only happens when you hit a pothole.... hit a pothole on purpose and see if it occurs then. If it does, then something is loose somewhere.

What do you mean by JBL on the doors? Does it have a factory JBL system or have you upgraded the front door speakers for JBL speakers?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It happens with any source; AUX, CD or radio. It has the factory JBL system I believe. It's been on constantly now for a few weeks. When it's not happening, it seems like a pothole sets it off. So I guess it does sound like somethings loose somewhere. The only odd thing is sometimes (not very often) if I switch the stereo on before starting the car, it's not there, then turning the car on I'm greeted with a 'pop', and the noise. If I could get to the speaker I'd have a look myself, but from looking it seems as though the whole back seat would need to come out. Once driving I heard the same pop and it went away for the rest of the journey, returning the next time i started the car. I'll have to get someone to hace a look at the speaker and see what's what with it, might just need reconnecting or something

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick update. After reading tons about the sound system, and where the amp is located, it got me thinking. This all started whenever someone would get into the backseat. It would start making a staticy/hissing sound, and would generally stop when the seat was empty. Since the amp is behind the rear seat, I thought maybe the pressure had worked something loose. I removed the lower section of the seat and given myself enough clearance to wedge my arm up the back of the seat. I fumbled blindly with the wires for a while until I heard a very faint 'click' sort of sound. I started the car up, and no more noise! I've literally only just done it, so whether it will return remains to be seen. It's definitely to do with the amp wiring though, as when I was fumbling with the radio on to see if I heard any change in pitch or something, I heard the noise a set of speakers or headphones make when they're plugged/unplugged whilst music is playing. That brief loud(ish) sort of static noise. So even if blindly I've not managed to sort it properly, I am fairly confident that removing the seat so I can properly get at the amp plugs would sort it. I tried to take some pics as best I could from below, I'll attach them. Not that they are very good but hey ho. It's tight behind there so I'm really not surprised if that's the case!

Thank you for your replies 🙂

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts