Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right,

I have an issue with a 307 I am looking at buying.

When the car is not in gear and the engine is revved there are no issues even if the clutch is pushed in

BUT

when in gear and the clutch is not engaged there is a grinding noise from front left and the Missus says its feels like a grinding under her feet.

Some people have said thrust bearing, some clutch release however the symptons don't seem to match up.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well, the thrust bearing and the clutch release are the same thing, but you are quite right you don't have the symptoms for that. I don't quite understand your description properly but I'm thinking gearbox or wheel bearing.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Could it be that a CV joint is on its last legs, that would give a grindin/knockin through the car.
If your lookin at this car to buy it i would walk away and tell the current owner your may consider the car again once its fixed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
407xjr - it's only costing me 600 notes. Hence I've got a bit of cash to repair.

Basically no noise when idling or when out of gear if engine is revved or when rolling with no engine being used but as soon as you are in gear and using the engine there is a grinding noise coming this is apparent under acceleration and deceleration it's a metallic grinding noise

C

·
0 Posts
407xjr - it's only costing me 600 notes. Hence I've got a bit of cash to repair.

Basically no noise when idling or when out of gear if engine is revved or when rolling with no engine being used but as soon as you are in gear and using the engine there is a grinding noise coming this is apparent under acceleration and deceleration it's a metallic grinding noise
Have you jacked up the car and spun the wheel and checked the condition of the bearing, cv joint etc I have had one fail and they have play in them and cause they ride to be lumpy and bumpy sounds like gearbox trouble to me but I'm no expert.

·
Registered
909 Posts

This sounds similar to a fault i had with a 1.1 2006 a few years back, the diff had gone, i got bangin and grindin when in gear and drivin. It started to snatch the car left then right, takin the steerin wheel out my hands. New box for 150 notes sorted it.
Does it drive ok?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems to drive ok but I am thinking if its the diff then it'll deteriorate and start getting worse to drive. Ill garage it n get it repaired

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem solved... pinnion bearing and shaft. But because previous owner had driven it round like that for so long it had worn a hole in the bell housing which had dripped gearbox oil into the clutch and knackered the driveshafts... so £700 later and no grindig

·
Registered
81 Posts
Look at your rear and gearbox and engine mount as these will make the drive train sound like it's about to die, because things move out of alignment to where they shouldn't be and this causes grinding sounds. On my 307 HDI 100,00 km, I just did the all the mounts now it's as quite and nice to drive as when it was new. It sounded like the cv joints were about to self distruct.

Cheers George

1 - 9 of 9 Posts