Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been having a problem for a while where the engine management light has been coming up car. I can't remember off the top of my head exactly what the fault says it is but it's something to do with low voltage somewhere. I have PP2000 myself and just can't get it to read the faults for some reason.

The guy I brought the car to has checked the wiring around those components and the voltage is fine and has checked the whole wiring loom and no shortages in it. He said the only thing is to replace the ECU so I sourced another ECU from a Peugeot Citroen Spares place in Blackburn but the sent me an ECU from a 1.6hdi instead of a 2.0hdi. They said they were sending me out another one but I am yet to receive.

My MOT expires on June 22nd and I know it won't pass with the engine management light on and until we get the new ECU and reprogrammed there is basically nothing we can do.

I've been thinking of doing a blue dash conversion, do you think there is anyway I could remove the engine management LED from behind and unplug my centre screen so it won't say anti pollution fault and is it possible to stop the beep?

The car is driving fine with no problems at all, do you think this would work. I'm in N. Ireland and we have the government owned MOT centres and not garages like over on the mainland. Everything would be rewired again after.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi,

I'm sure that the 2012 MOT now checks for the engine management light prior to start up to ensure it is working and then starts the car to check for MIL and other problem indicators. Removing the bulb or wiring WILL cause an MOT fail.

There is a guy on here who is an MOT tester and he should be able to confirm this but I can't remember his name.

PB

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If they can get the ECU to me and it can be programmed to for my car and this proves to fix the problem it won't matter. Just throwing ideas about. If it doesn't arrive before my MOT runs out don't know what I'll do as the garage is an hour away from me and would be taken a chance driving up and getting caught with no MOT.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi,

I understand. I've had major problems in getting my Engine ECU to read in planet as it wouldn't respond. After spending most of a saturday with all the engine fuse box out and checking all the wires and fuses, I finaly found pin 16 on the diag port was damaged and the wire had broke off.

Take out your diag port and check all pins are in place and not been pushed back and that all wires are attached. This and the ecu fuse is the only reason planet will not read fault codes from your engine ecu.

Check out this link on my ecu problems

Bettyswollocks is also in N Ireland and he is the main man with 307's. You could try him and see what he says.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
You could remove the three bulbs in the heads up display to sort out anti pollution message , then take the speaker out of the com2000 unit but the engine management light will screw you up ,
new MOT rule is ABS , Airbag and Engine Management light all have to come on with ignition and all have to go out with starting :(

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that's the removing led and lights out the window. On the PP2000 connnector or the OBD itself did you have the problem PeugeotBoy. I've checked my planet by reading my sisters 307 and it read the ECU fine on hers.

I had a problem when it was remapped that it would takes ages to start because of the same error and had to get it reflashed with original software so it would start correctly. Now the engine management light is coming up and I can't get into the ECU to read the fault but my guy can do so with his laptop. Seems strange that his fault reading software will work but mine won't although his software cannot erase the codes for some reason.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Well that's the removing led and lights out the window. On the PP2000 connnector or the OBD itself did you have the problem PeugeotBoy. I've checked my planet by reading my sisters 307 and it read the ECU fine on hers.

I had a problem when it was remapped that it would takes ages to start because of the same error and had to get it reflashed with original software so it would start correctly. Now the engine management light is coming up and I can't get into the ECU to read the fault but my guy can do so with his laptop. Seems strange that his fault reading software will work but mine won't although his software cannot erase the codes for some reason.
Hmm. An odd one. My PP2000 would plug in fine and read all ecu's except the engine. It turned out to be a broken wire on the diag connector on the car. It is very strange that his reader will read the ecu but planet won't. Planet is the genuine peugeot tool so if anything planet should read and his shouldnt. I would still check the diag port on the car as it could be just a pin has been dislodged and pushed back out of reach of the planet plug. As it only takes a few mins and costs nothing, check the connectors. Nothing to lose :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just went outside and took a look with a torch, there are seven pins that will mate with the planet connector with two wires running to one of the pins. All 7 connectors look like they're in the correct place to me.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Just went outside and took a look with a torch, there are seven pins that will mate with the planet connector with two wires running to one of the pins. All 7 connectors look like they're in the correct place to me.
Ok. I'll take out mine on Monday and take a few pics and mark on one of them the engine ecu pin. If you can take out the connector use a small flat blade screwdriver and just for piece of mind, push each pin in hard just to make sure and then try PP2000 again using test by ecu, engine ecu and see if it's communicating.

Just as a note. As the engine is running ok as you state, then the ecu not reading in planet must be a communication problem. This can only be caused by a fuse, lose connector or broken wire on diag port or a broken wire from the diag port to the ecu. Have a look at my post as above and check the fuses to.

Ill post back on monday for you.

PB

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just tried to read again through planet, no luck. Just says ECU being referenced. My guy says he has checked all wiring between ECU and connector and all the wiring loom and there are no problems. I have read this car many times before with no problems.

He was able to reflash the ECU down the connector as I was there when he done it but this didn't cure the light in the dash which I think is leading to him thinking it's an ECU problem.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'd be carefully cleaning and checking all supplies and grounds before blaming the ECU. But without knowing which bit is low voltage it's all guesses.
You sure all the fuses are good?

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Under which section is the Engine Management light mentioned? Not saying you're wrong, just can't find it... :)

Testers handbook:

MOT Documentation Contents Page

AA article about new rules

MOT changes from 2012 | AA
Just from having to clear lights on 6 cars last week that got turned down here that were burning lights on the dash , engine management light being one off them , but it could have been that they just got a jobsworth , be interesting to see if anyone else gets turned down for engine management around the country.:nod:

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have cleared a VW Polo for failing on EML and a 307 that I did last Friday , the guy mentioned that it had failed the previous year for EML being on.

The garage that I go to aint that bothered with EML but will fail a SRS or ABS etc

·
Registered
273 Posts
Just tried to read again through planet, no luck. Just says ECU being referenced. My guy says he has checked all wiring between ECU and connector and all the wiring loom and there are no problems. I have read this car many times before with no problems.

He was able to reflash the ECU down the connector as I was there when he done it but this didn't cure the light in the dash which I think is leading to him thinking it's an ECU problem.
If your ecu is being referenced then it is communicating with planet so it will not be connector or fuses. This seems to be a more complex issue and i'd suggest that as dpmiller says, check your earths and then check all the multiplugs are in tight to the ecu.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Follow them from your battery. The most common one is the gearbox earth that requires cleaning.

Its generally any black cable that is bolted to the body in and around the engine bay.

Just unbolt , bit of sand paper and clean where it meets the body and the lead itself. Then bolt back up , a bit of copper grease wont hurt either.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts