1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20160409_131122.jpg

20160409_131350.jpg

Most of the gear, but no idea.

I need to get a laptop (XP or 7 I believe).

I also need to find out what cable is for what.
My car is an 03, and I understand it needs an extra cable compared to other models. The extra cable is in this kit, but I have no idea which one it is.

I am in way over my head lol.

·
Registered
580 Posts
View attachment 38770

View attachment 38778

Most of the gear, but no idea.

I need to get a laptop (XP or 7 I believe).

I also need to find out what cable is for what.
My car is an 03, and I understand it needs an extra cable compared to other models. The extra cable is in this kit, but I have no idea which one it is.

I am in way over my head lol.
Only one of the plugs plugs into the ODBC socket. The one with the green end.
Malcolm..

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I expect you only need the interface box and the lead with the green plug, which should fit into the diagnostic port on your BSI.

I don't see a software disk - you need that as well, to install Peugeot Planet 2000.

Use either XP or Win7 or 8 32-bit OS. If you have a 64-bit OS, you will need to run Planet under a 32-bit virtual OS.

I have done that, by installing VMWare Player (free) on my 64-bit Win 8 machines, and installing a 32-bit XP into that; then installing Planet into the XP. Works well.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the software disc, just didn't think to include it.

So I can use up to Win 8, as long as it is 32 bit? That widens my search somewhat.
Thank you very much.

Neil :)

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Actually, you can use Win 10 as well, as long as it's 32 bit. Or use a 32-bit VM under a 64-bit OS. If you're shopping for a new machine, it's not worth trying to find a 32-bit OS (very unlikely nowadays).

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am picking up a Pavilion DV9000 in a bit with Win 7 Ultimate. I hope it is a 32bit bit version, as I do not know the first thing about creating a virtual OS and that side of things. Just thinking about it fills me with dread lol.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The laptop has gone from whence it came. Battery was crap. CD drive didn't work. Cooling fan didn't work.
Bought it through Gumtree. Seller was not too pleased to see me wanting my pennies back.
He complied with my wishes though, so I got a full refund.
On a mission for another one now.
Bugga.

Neil

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
20160411_182257.jpg this week sometime

Try two!

Just got to wait for a charger for it. It came with a cheap generic thing that does not work, so the guy I got it from is bringing me a proper new Dell unit this week sometime.

The wait continues. Maybe it was not meant to be lol.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
if its windows 7 or above you wont be able to download pp on its own you need diagbox. or run a vmware software. i never got mine working so id get the proper disc. will make it so much easier :D

where are you

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
if its windows 7 or above you wont be able to download pp on its own you need diagbox. or run a vmware software. i never got mine working so id get the proper disc. will make it so much easier :D

where are you
Not correct. You only need VMWare if the OS is 64-bit. A 32-bit Win7, 8, or 10 is ok.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
No IanML, it is 32-bit.
Well, that IS odd. But what you can do is install VMWare Player (free) and then set up a virtual machine OS using (say) XP SP3; that is what I did. PP installed into that with no problem. The nice thing is that you can suspend the VM, and it restarts in seconds, so you save the XP boot time and the PP boot time as well, when you next use it. Takes about 6Gb.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, that IS odd. But what you can do is install VMWare Player (free) and then set up a virtual machine OS using (say) XP SP3; that is what I did. PP installed into that with no problem. The nice thing is that you can suspend the VM, and it restarts in seconds, so you save the XP boot time and the PP boot time as well, when you next use it. Takes about 6Gb.
Thank you for the advice. I appreciate your time.
Does it HAVE to be XP? Will it not run on 7? I do not have a clue what you said apart from XP lol, so it looks like I will be learning something new.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
It doesn't have to be XP, but, to install a virtual machine, you will need an install disk with a 32-bit OS, and we know that the software is written for XP, so that would be the best bet. It may sound complicated, but the instructions built into the VMWare Player make it straightforward.

I have one other idea you may want to try before going down the VM route. I don't have Win7 any more, so I can't detail the steps, but I think it has a compatibility mode. You could try choosing XP SP3 compatibility to install PP.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts