Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering whether I have been ripped off..

The last few years I have been driving on classic insurance mostly, old volvos, a few VWs etc, and have been paying an average of say 210 per car. In one instance I was paying, last year, about 160 a year for a T25 vintage van worth 5000. BUT I have just bought a 2003 Pug Partner, 2.0 HDI and the cheapest quote I got was 340 quid with 5 years no claims, and I'm 36 with no 'history'.

Are they serious??!!

:mad:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Seems a bit much but if you're the drummer in a heavy metal band, live in a crime hot-spot, only have one eye, have chipped the engine, dropped the suspension and do 100,000 miles a year, you've got a bargain!

My 407SW 136BHP cost ~£250 but I told them I do less than 10,000 a year (which I do). A friend of mine insured her Chevvy Corvette Stingray on a classic policy (inc. under 5,000 miles) for less than £150, so when she met the real world, the shock was immense.

G

·
I used to pay under £100 for my '71 Rover 3500. Classic policies cost less cos the cars are often driven less, cherished more, and apart from the exotica often aren't worth anywhere near as much as the owners like to brag. They're often quite cheap to repair, assuming parts can be found.

My 407 is about £270 a year, 24 years NCB protected, but to be fair its an odd model that snicked in as group 17 under the old regime. Then my 150 MPH Yamaha cast £60 a year to insure fully comp.

Just the way it is, always has bee if my quarter centruy of experience is owt to go by.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
i wish mine was a low as you guys, but it will come... so i have to pay £125 a month for 9 months and get 3 free, fully comp, legal protection, key protection included. they also gave me 3 years NCB when i passed my test last year, so now i have 4, just for going with them. also that was with the discount of adding my dad as a named driver and forces discount.

but they will see me as a 20 year old, boy racer in a 307, who will cause a crash and possibly kill someone and lives in gateshead.

oh well, nix i can do about it, just have to wait for 21st birthday, when it will go down a little. but the magic number is 25.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Well, I'm 45 with max no claims - and still get charged £300 for comp insurance. I do around 19k a year.

The problem is down to little boys getting their mummies to insure their cars and put them on the insurance as a named driver.

Little boy then goes and prangs his car and runs off crying to his mummy who claims off her (his?) insurance and BANG I have to pay for the little twot not being man enough to stump up the cash for his own insurance.

People who do this should be publicly executed using a greased electrified pole.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
yeah i see that all the time, being 20 year old some of my, say better off friends get brand new corsas, are put on their parents insurance (which parents pay for) and they have the nerve to rag the car, race and what not....kinda pisses me off slightly as they put the other half (like myself) who have insurance in their own name and pay their own way etc.

but it also kinda annoys me slightly, when 99% of say the older people, blame the younger drivers for crashes, hence high prices as a young driver...but tbh all i see, being complete fannies are the older generation driving really fast in their Beemers, VW Passats, Ford mondao and the bigger cocks audi drivers, driving down roads at the speed of light who think they have right of way and my dad who drives buses also agrees with this and it kinda a sensitive nerve point....

but i do have to admit there a few immature little twats that do take the piss and do give us a bad name.

well thats my rant over...back to happy time :lol:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I've participated in my fair share of prangs - mostly in my first years of driving - I've written off two cars. But after 3 maybe 4 years it sinks in that you've got to have eyes in the back of your head, as some people will drive like idiots on the road.

A couple of years back a bloke cut me up on a roundabout, 5 mins later I saw him in a car park and explained to him that he was driving rather dangerously and suggested that he slowed down a little. The look on his face was priceless.

The sheer number of cars on the road now means that you are constantly on the lookout for knobs.

·
Registered
534 Posts
clanless said:
The problem is down to little boys getting their mummies to insure their cars and put them on the insurance as a named driver.
I used to investigate such claims and the good news is that the majority were not paid out by the insurance company - the punishment then came in the form of mummy having to pay for ALL the damage herself.

To be a "Named Driver" you have to do significantly less mileage than the policy holder.

Also, I have insured my son, then 19 in a 106, 1.1, '99 reg for the princely sum of £1000. - To be attached to his mother's would have been £890. A small saving and hardly worth it.

All that said, £1000 doesn't cover much damage nowadays. So an accident wipes out the premium and Insurance companies, like you and I, are not here to lose money.

The problem is not who is on whose insurance, it is the rashness of youth (which I miss) and inexperience. Risk is worked out on many things but age, experience, BHP/Ton, cost of parts and mileage all figure large.

clanless said:
The sheer number of cars on the road now means that you are constantly on the lookout for knobs.
Now that's true. It can be as if they're ganging up on you. Last weekend I saw this bloke doing a 5 point turn on a zebra crossing... and another drifting into my lane at 3mph whilst holding a conversation with a person on the off-side payment.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My 2004 HDi is £240 a year full no claims, i'm 61.

I thought you could not rack up no claims on classic insurance. I had a 900 Honda motocycle seven years ago on a classic policy, when i got the first Harley i had no beifit for that years insurance, i had to start at the bottom again. It's now £85.00 a year, but then i'm an olf fart !!!.

G

·
Yeah, most classic policies won't let you use or accumulate an NCD.

Your price isn't too bad. I got 24 years no claims, I'm 41, police qualified Class 1 driver, drive only 6000 miles a year in my 407, and it's just under £280 comp, which I didn't think was so bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts