Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My mechanic changed the glowplugs on my 307 HDI, all apart from 1. That one has snapped but not in the usual place.

Any idea how to get this bit out?

Kind regards,

Turns out I can't post pictures, its the part what glows thats snapped off

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Hi all,

My mechanic changed the glowplugs on my 307 HDI, all apart from 1. That one has snapped but not in the usual place.

Kind regards,

a bit more info on why you was changing glowplugs may help

it would aslo be a good idea for you to have a goo read of this http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/introductions-28/brief-faq-guide-new-members-83170/ as putting urgent will not get your questions answered and quicker

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I was getting them changed as I had the Depollution system faulty message and got a read from a Peugeot planet computer saying glowplugs/glowplug relay was having a problem.

So got them changed.

·
Registered
170 Posts
you say it's broken in a place that's not normal, can you explain this a bit more?

last time I changed any plugs (ok it was on an old Merc E270 but same principle)I soaked the plugs with penetrating fluid for about an hour, took the car for a run getting everything up to temp, put a bit more penetrating fluid on and gently tried removing the plugs, all but one came out very easily, the last one to a few more goes with the above method but eventually came out, only reason I changed all of mine was 3 had gone (previous owner never bother to change them) and in the middle of winter (-0c conditions) it was hard to start.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Found how to upload a picture on my phone, thatll show you what I mean

understand what's happened now, he's broken the tip off in the block, do not drive the car! the only way to get it out would be to hope to hell you can a magnet in there to pull it out or remove the manifold, which i'm afraid to say is probably what you would need to do,

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
understand what's happened now, he's broken the tip off in the block, do not drive the car! the only way to get it out would be to hope to hell you can a magnet in there to pull it out or remove the manifold, which i'm afraid to say is probably what you would need to do,
i dont think removing manifold would help i thing its a head off job unless you can get it out through the injector hole

·
Registered
170 Posts
i dont think removing manifold would help i thing its a head off job unless you can get it out through the injector hole
I was think inlet manifold may just give that bit of extra room to pull it out but I don't know PSA engines that well so you could well be right with a head off job.

Either way OP it will be a labour intensive job, expect a good 8 hours labour in total, don't quote me on that though as I've said I've not worked on these engines in the past

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hi all,

Kind regards,

Can you see the snapped off end still in the hole, or has it fallen down into the combustion chamber?
Malcolm.

·
Registered
14,276 Posts
I have never tried this but was told more than once by a well respected forum member that in these cases what you do is drift what is left into the combustion chamber and remove the injector and use a magnet to remove it through the injector hole as its bigger than the glowplug hole.

I know you say its ceramic but this member assured me it was possible i have never had the need to try it out though as i do not change glowplugs !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MalcolmD - Im not sure, hes said he has to be careful otherwise itll fall into the cyclinder so I guess it is stuck there.

Reliable406 - I saw another member said this literally in a few posts ago, so I told my mechanic and funnily enough he was in the injector section (sorry not mechanically sound so dont really no the names) and thats when he said there ceramic and the magnet didnt work.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
I have never tried this but was told more than once by a well respected forum member that in these cases what you do is drift what is left into the combustion chamber and remove the injector and use a magnet to remove it through the injector hole as its bigger than the glowplug hole.

I know you say its ceramic but this member assured me it was possible i have never had the need to try it out though as i do not change glowplugs !
if a magnet does not work then using one of them small reach claws like this 24" FLEXIBLE SPRING BENDY LONG REACH THIN CLAW PICK UP TOOL LIFTING GRAB GRABBER | eBay

·
Registered
14,276 Posts
Whatever method you use i can assure you removing it through the injector hole IS possible i doubted it when he said it but there have been a few posts since over the years and i have spoken to others and it is possible thick grease on a screwdriver may grab it as its not heavy.

it is just a case of finding the method that works for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Trustme what a brilliant idea, I might have to buy one not just for this problem!

Reliable I will take this on-board and inform the mechanic. Thank you for the replies

1 - 20 of 21 Posts