Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.Can anyone tell me what sort of a job it is to replace the glow plugs on my 407. It is a 2.0 Hdi. 2005. Cheers Steve.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
It's a bit tight, remove the EGR valve, EGR cooler and Elbow down on the manifold (this one might be a problem if bolts shear off, I had to take the engine out to fix it).

Then you get access to the plugs, but you have to work a bit in the blind as it's hard to see anything back there. (between engine and bulkhead).

Not sure if the elbow onto the manifold need to be removed, but sadly I think it must. Guess someone else can confirm or unconfirm it...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a bit tight, remove the EGR valve, EGR cooler and Elbow down on the manifold (this one might be a problem if bolts shear off, I had to take the engine out to fix it).

Then you get access to the plugs, but you have to work a bit in the blind as it's hard to see anything back there. (between engine and bulkhead).

Not sure if the elbow onto the manifold need to be removed, but sadly I think it must. Guess someone else can confirm or unconfirm it...
Thanks for the reply. Not a 10min job then:nono:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am thinking this could be the relay and not the plugs. When you switch the ign on. The pre heat light only stays on fo a couple of seconds and then goes out. When you start it the pre heat light comes back on just for a couple of seconds. The car has done 57000 miles. It always starts though, but i feel the light should stay on a little longer than it does. Cheers Steve.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The glow plugs will just need to warm to temperature so this process might vary slightly depending on temperature around car. Are there any other symptoms other than what you describe in your last post?

D

·
0 Posts
I am thinking this could be the relay and not the plugs. When you switch the ign on. The pre heat light only stays on fo a couple of seconds and then goes out. When you start it the pre heat light comes back on just for a couple of seconds. The car has done 57000 miles. It always starts though, but i feel the light should stay on a little longer than it does. Cheers Steve.
The Hdi engine only pretty much needs the heater plugs for regenerating the DPF more than starting. Although they are on maybe for five minutes after startup but you don't know. The light not coming on doesn't mean they're not working.
Get a diagnostic check done, if fault code P1351 is present then you need heater plugs. If not then you don't.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. The light only stays on for a couple of seconds no matter what the temp is. When it was really cold/freezing. It still started but was maybe a little lumpy for a very very short time. A fault code did come up on the engine when i was trying to get my bluetooth working. Something about pre heat/relay. But i didnt take much notice of it at the time. cant remember what code it came up with. Cheers Steve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts