Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys guidance please 307 1.6 Hdi my car summer winter first start takes about 5 seconds of turning over first start of day only. After first start probably one second for starting is that normal please.

When it was -3 degree yesterday it failed to start, today started when temperature was warmer, thinking glow plugs ?

Cheers

Allan

·
Registered
253 Posts
Does the glow plug lamp come on at the clocks?

If so try this in colder weather if you are struggling:-

Turn ignition on leave for 10 seconds switch off switch on again and do the same about 5 times. This heats up the cylinders nicely. Has worked every time in the past for me with difficult start diesels.

It may be a sign the pre/post heating system is malfunctioning or plugs getting weak. Or one two are not working.

Best place to start is diagnostics first and see if there are any fault codes.

Hope this helps you. Kind regards Adam. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Adam

My car does not have a dashboard glow plug lamp ( wish it did)

When it failed to start I did plug in a obd reader that recorded no faults which I had expected p1351 so that was not much help.

I may try switch on and off a couple of times see if that helps just odd why summer winter takes 5 seconds then rest of day starts very well

Thank you

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'am sure it should have as some members have advised me that the light only comes on for a second or two.

Look as dash display and it should be on the bottom row (4th) first icon on left shared with the oil and battery charge warning lamps. :confused:

Anyway after initial start the engine is generally warmed up enough for other starts throughout the day.

Again good battery cranking power is essential now as the colder weather is coming in. Perhaps a small trickle charge on the battery may be idea just to see if there is any improvement overnight. :thumb:

Make sure the battery has the original protective coverings and plastic shell protectors in place as you know this stops Mr Frost hindering your power source.

Let us know how you get on. :)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Adam

Not sure i think its the facelift model that lost its glow light as the engine management is a little different but not totally sure :)

It was a quick try at the moment as i need to go to hospital in the morning and if car won't start its a Taxi not fond of doing that but needs must

Battery is 18 months old and heavy duty after much churning i had 12 volts after a charge 14 volts, maybe if i connect the caharger in the morning it may be sufficient charge for battery warming up and crank a little faster

My battery fluid is spot on get 50 plus mpg runs great after first start i will have more time after my hospital trip but i think i may connect the charger early in the morning sounds like a plan thank you :thumb:

·
Registered
647 Posts
On the facelifts at least the glow plug light won't come on unless it's -5 or lower. The light is there though, it hasn't been removed. Under normal conditions the glow plugs aren't needed to start. They are used in the above conditions, during regens and sometimes in the first 30 seconds or so of driving just to bring the temperature up quicker and reduce emissions.
I'd get the car on Planet for live data readings.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers Monty

I am going to check the battery more I was thinking all though it's only 18 months old I use aircon 95% of the time also my stereo is on with a powered sub all the time so maybe that's taken more than 18 months may suggest

Allan

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I have heard the low temp for the plugs, in Haynes it reckons the coolant should be less than 20 degrees and crank at least 70 rpm for the glow plugs to ignite. It looks as if the plugs can only be tested in planet or after removal. From what I have read if a plug is misperforming the engine after it starts would sound lumpy mine after start is fine.

I think on common rail it's the crank speed that draws the diesel from the tank since after first start of the day it's first turn off the key the fuel may have some issue as well. My filter is perhaps 9k miles could even check see if a small drop of water is trapped

I have diagbox never installed planet just not good with it plus need charge the laptop before I could use it outdoors

Cheers

Allan

·
Registered
45 Posts
Having this problem at the minute,had a new battery/plugs a few months ago,just picked up a 1.7 kw sm to see if that sorts it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
i had the same problem starting until it just wouldnt start! new battery sorted it right out!

initially i thought glowplugs and changed them anyway, though the ones i took out look ok to me, i just fitted better quality ones.

charge the battery with a battery charger and then try it if it starts, the battery you have may just not have enough juice!

glowplugs on hdi engines dont help start the car till it goes below 0 degrees, and even then its only when it gets sort of -3 onwards that there is actually some preheating of the glowplugs.

hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok small update, not had much time due to hospital

This am checked voltage prior to starting it was 12.36 churned but started. My old battery was charged overnight and had 13.6v straight after charge. Next bit of plan going to check voltage Tuesday am see how far down each is after a cold night.

Anyone know if when the car is stood overnight will diesel tend to flow back into the tank just wondering if the first start is fuel not being present

What's a 1.7kw sm please?

Thanks guys for the info so far, I am tending to think my battery has began failing even though only 18 months old and creating the needed 70 rpm for good starting conditions when it's cold

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you guys never heard of starter motor in kW I thought maybe it was a sump heater or such that sat under the battery box lol

Don't think I will go that route but out of curiosity how much did a new starter motor cost please

1 - 20 of 28 Posts