Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all with the colder weather my 307 90 hdi estate is starting to take a lot of cranking to get going, now the question is am i looking at having to replace the glow plugs as i assume it is due to them not heating properly, the only thing that makes me think it could be something else is that the glow plug light goes off almost immediatly and on other diesal cars i have had when the glow plugs start to fail the dash light stays on for longer and longer as they get worse?

If It is the glow plugs how much of a pain is this job?

Thanks all for any help.

·
5,880 Posts
Unless where you are is below -5 glow plugs will make no difference to starting. I would look at battery and/or ageing starter motor

·
Registered
14,602 Posts
Regardless of what anyone will tell you glowplugs are NOT needed on these engines as windy says they dont even do much unless below -5 starter far more likely or a bad injector

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well being a bit lazy never did any more to resolve this as it got warmer and was starting fine, now had a cold snap and drained the battery trying to start yesterday. Luckily have a slopped drive and a hill near the end of the drive so rolled it down drive to the hill and bump started without a problem. Car then started with the key after popping in the shop strait away. Having done my research it looks like the starter is the problem as have the biggest battery in the world in the car which looks quite new and is testing fine. Have an option of a recon lucas starter or a new rtx one (both 1.7kw) any views??

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
i brought something like this

Genuine BOSCH remanufactured Starter Motor 0986013240 | eBay

im not sure if its correct for your car but it does say to message with your reg

last year mine used to take over 30 seconds of cranking to start as soon as i fitted one of these uprated starter motors not had any blips since

rtx are rubbish and not much cheaper

·
Registered
14,602 Posts
I have 2 406s and both are struggling to start 1 more than other both are still on original starters and i KNOW its not glowplugs i have an uprated starter ready to go in and once done it will start instantly.

Reason i know its not glowplugs is the relay is not even there on 1 of them :)

Bosch recon starters were what we always used on the taxis as the cheaper ones never lasted.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spoke to the nice people from monty's post and after they expressed their worry about putting a higher rated starter on as it might cause electrical issues like if a higher rated alternator was used they sold me one on the understanding that if it causes any electrical issues with the car they had warned me, should be here tomorrow(ish) and will have to find the time to fit it, till fitted will be parking on slopes at work as well as home!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Weather is warmer if wetter so no bump starting needed,part arrived but have to do a small tinker as it is a plug fitment for the smaller connection lead and mine is a bolt type any simple solutions greatly recieved only prob is the lead is realy hard to get to so modification needs to be on the starter.

·
Registered
14,602 Posts
I just strip the insulation of the trigger wire and fit a length of wire with a spade to it leaving the ring fitting as well this way you can fit either in the future just wrap the bare ring end in insulating tape.

But then i was swapping them a lot on the taxis as they were constantly stopping and starting :)

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
on the 90 you should be able to undo the starter and move it giving better access to the cables. its the 110 with all the bits and pieces which is a harder task

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well fitted the new 1.7kw starter and it all works, can't tell if it has sorted the bad starting as it is too warm to really tell, seems to start much quicker but that might just be wishful thinking, roll on winter!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
you also should get good oil to solve this problem.

The thinner the oil the quicker the engine will start but also use decent oil.

but remember your car might smoke more depending on condition.

05/30 thin oil
10/40 bit more heavy

any heaver car will take time to start.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the uprated starter upsetting the rest of the electrical system. If the car starts more readily then it will probably be less of a strain on the battery than cranking over and over with a weak starter.
As a rule of thumb, the size of the battery (in terms of cranking power) is determined by the demands of starting a cold engine, the alternator output by the demands of running the engine and accessories such as lights, heater, fan, stereo system etc.

Roger.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts