Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anyone know if removing the gearbox to fit a new flywheel is a hard job? Or is it achievable to a knowledgeable DIY'er with the manual? I want to save pennies :) .
I have a 2004 307sw HDI 110.

·
Super Moderator
1,760 Posts
scammell said:
Hi, does anyone know if removing the gearbox to fit a new flywheel is a hard job? Or is it achievable to a knowledgeable DIY'er with the manual? I want to save pennies :) .
I have a 2004 307sw HDI 110.
It is possible but is quite tricky. Some of the gearbox bolts are fairly hard to get at and some wiring and plugs need removed/moved. You need to remove the passenger side suspension (rhd) which can be awkard coz the ball joints are usually covered in road crap and take out the driveshaft so you'll need replacement gearbox oil or catch the old stuff if you are really cheap! lol! not recommended! You should stick in a clutch too when doing flywheel (usually included in kit). There is also a engine mount to take off and the gearbox is heavy! Halfords does a good cheap set of axle stands, trolley jack and creeper at the moment. Highly recommended if you don't have the like to take the weight of the engine. I found that loosening the cradle worked well to make a bit more room to wiggle the 'box out! Hope this helps!:thumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stevoxsi said:
It is possible but is quite tricky. Some of the gearbox bolts are fairly hard to get at and some wiring and plugs need removed/moved. You need to remove the passenger side suspension (rhd) which can be awkard coz the ball joints are usually covered in road crap and take out the driveshaft so you'll need replacement gearbox oil or catch the old stuff if you are really cheap! lol! not recommended! You should stick in a clutch too when doing flywheel (usually included in kit). There is also a engine mount to take off and the gearbox is heavy! Halfords does a good cheap set of axle stands, trolley jack and creeper at the moment. Highly recommended if you don't have the like to take the weight of the engine. I found that loosening the cradle worked well to make a bit more room to wiggle the 'box out! Hope this helps!:thumb:
Thanks for the info, I'm thinking about doing it myself to save some money. I work on wind turbine gearboxes for my job a lot of the time, hope it helps me with this tricky little job :eek:.

Does the gearbox have to come right out to gain access or can it be wiggled to one side?

Regards, David.

·
Super Moderator
1,760 Posts
I took the gearbox out to do a clutch so I would say yeah you would need to take it out. Probably best to have a mate about to give you a hand! Someone strong but not too ignorant! lol!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got my well read haynes manual now, a Valeo solid flywheel upgrade kit and a friend to help :eek: Hope it goes well!
It looks a bit involving but the saving on garage costs is worth it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Peugeot 307 gearbox

Hi I am changing a clutch at the moment the new clutch is all on and I changed the release bearing and every time I put the gearbox up the release fork doesn't want to move more the about a inch any ideas is it ment to be like this

1 - 8 of 8 Posts