Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction with a problem I currently experiencing. I drive a 307 1.6 Rapier and recently have noticed a whining noise, the noise only happens when in gear, out of gear the engine sounds fine. When accelerating and decelerating the noise seems to relate to the changing of the gears and the speed I'm travelling. Don't think it's the wheel bearings as when I take it out of gear the noise goes away. When travelling at high speed in 5th it's lke a high pitched whine.

I've been told it could be gearbox bearings? Gearbox oil? clutch bearings? wheels? drive shaft?

Can anyone help????

Many thanks
Paul

·
Registered
862 Posts
pcairns said:
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction with a problem I currently experiencing. I drive a 307 1.6 Rapier and recently have noticed a whining noise, the noise only happens when in gear, out of gear the engine sounds fine. When accelerating and decelerating the noise seems to relate to the changing of the gears and the speed I'm travelling. Don't think it's the wheel bearings as when I take it out of gear the noise goes away. When travelling at high speed in 5th it's lke a high pitched whine.

I've been told it could be gearbox bearings? Gearbox oil? clutch bearings? wheels? drive shaft?

Can anyone help????

Many thanks
Paul

sounds like a clutch release bearing some times called a thrus race bearing. Also have you checked the Transmission oil?

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have same prob same model car aswell common fault from what i hear but peugeot wont reconise it as one, full strip down needed or new box no other way to cure it

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem with my 306

my 306 1998 seems to have this problem , if it is clutch bearings is this a big job and will the car seaze or will i need a new clutch

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dont worry

my 207 has exactly the same noise its not the thrust bearing...I just had a full new clutch and had new gearbox oil at the same time and it still sounds the same. That's just the way these crappy pugs are made its just the gearing whining inside ur gearbox and i think its standard across the smaller pugs.

·
Registered
243 Posts
i have the whine only in 3rd gear letting the engine slow the car, bearings in the box or worn synchromesh, either way just let it die and get another box to put in £60 to £80 from scrappy. Vs. £200+ rebuild costs

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
My car has a whining noise but it stops when the war department gets out!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
sammmmmme

Hi,

Can anyone help????

Many thanks
Paul
Found out what was problem?????????

Got same problem here???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

Can anyone help????

Many thanks
Paul
got same problem.......!!!!
did you find out what was the problem????

·
7,066 Posts
If you have MA gearbox then input shaft bearing is a common failure point.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
If it was a clutch bearing the noise woud ary when the pedal was pushed down.
It won't be worn synchromesh, that would show as crunchy gear changing.
But a worn bearing in the gearbox will allow the gears to run out of true, manifesting the fault mostly as a whining noise.
What is worn and how much it will cost to fix will depend on what gearbox you have, and how much replacement parts cost.

Roger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts