Peugeot Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering when/if the gearbox oil needs changing. My 307 has done 70k miles and to my knowledge the gearbox oil has never been changed.

The gear change is smooth but I noticed last winter that it was hard to change gears when the engine was cold.

Any advice would be appreciated.

D

·
0 Posts
why would you change gearbox oil every 12 months ? engine oil yes
Why not, its a very minimal cost to me when I work on them as a day job! Its why theres 211k miles on it and drives like its straight out of the factory.

As regards engine oil, I change that every 3k miles. Thats every two months.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Gearbox oil doesn't degrade like engine oil. Engine oil is subject to extreme temperatures and attacks from hyrocarbons as the engines ignites the fuel. Gear oil just sploshes about to keep everything from seizing up. The only thing to contaminate gear oil is minute (or not so minute from some I've seen)mettalic particles worn off from the gears.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so now I'm totally stumped, I got the gearbox oil and thought I'd tackle the job over the weekend. First problem the gearbox sump plug is a square socket (why!!!), no problem Halfords do these for a fiver.

So while I'm waiting for Halfords to reopen tomorrow I thought I'd check out how to put the new oil in. Removed the front near-side road wheel and plastic liner and found the filler/level plug/bolt, with the car jacked up I removed the filler plug but oil started coming oil. So my question is, how am I supposed to put oil into an opening that oil flows out of, surely I'm not going to be able to enough back in. Or should I roll the car on it's side :lol:

Why can't these things be more simple :confused:

BTW, my gearbox is a BE4/5.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fill hole will be on top of the box. Level hole is on the side.
Thanks for that, I did take the battery and tray out and saw a little plastic clip which popped out quite easily. Is this the fill hole? It didn't seem to fit very tightly.

D

·
0 Posts
Thanks for that, I did take the battery and tray out and saw a little plastic clip which popped out quite easily. Is this the fill hole? It didn't seem to fit very tightly.
Drain it all out and close up the drain plug. Just pour 2litres into the breather on top of the box and forget about it. They take 2ltrs exactly.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Gearbox oil doesn't degrade like engine oil. Engine oil is subject to extreme temperatures and attacks from hyrocarbons as the engines ignites the fuel. Gear oil just sploshes about to keep everything from seizing up. The only thing to contaminate gear oil is minute (or not so minute from some I've seen)mettalic particles worn off from the gears.
That may be the case, but I'd rather not have a whining transmission after 100,000 miles. Also, some of us are more anal than others when it comes to servicing and maintenance.

My gearbox oil gets changed when I change my engine oil, every 6,000~ miles, which is at least 4 times a year with the amount of miles I do.

Unnecessary? To some maybe. To me? Not at all, it's a fractional cost compared to a potential repair bill from poor maintenance.

Phil

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.