Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any hints on changing the gearbox oil on my ML6C attached to my RHR engine?

The gearbox was a bit wet and dirty, so I lifted it and gave it a good clean, noticed a few drops of clear oil. Not much though.

So, I'm interested to know how much oil I got left in the transmission, and the only way seems to empty it, and refill, in my case 1.9 liters of 75W80 I've read.

Anything I should keep in mind? What's the best way to get to the breather plug on the gearbox to fill it? Look's like it's well hidden beneath lot's of stuff.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks!

Oil change done!

The recommended amount to fill is 1.9 liters during an oil change. 2.2 liters is if you have taken the box apart and cleaned it all out.
This is for the reinforced box, which was used from Feb 2006.

Before Feb 2006 the amounts are 2.6 when emptying, and 2.8 when cleaned out.

WARNING!
Haynes handbook has got this wrong, and uses the greater amount for the reinforced gearbox.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh by the way, I can really recommend replacing the manual transmission oil, even though they say it's "filled-for-life". It was black. Lots of metal particles caught by the magnet on the drain plug.
205000 km.

·
Registered
407SW 2.2HDI 207hp/452Nm Stage 1
15 Posts
I want to ask in addition to the above.

I am with 2.2HDI 170hp, I think with ML6 (6 speed manual gearbox).

Can anybody confirm that the square for draining the gearbox oil is 8mm?

The attached below is the picture that I've taken when I was beneath the car.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've changed the oil, but the car took 3l, which is very strange, because according to AutoData, it should take only 2.6l.
The the other strange thing is that It didn't spill from the breather, from which I've put the transmission oil...

Should I buy 1 more litre in addition?

Attachments

·
8,213 Posts
It should not spill out of the breather, there is no level plug fitted anymore so you measure the amount filled. You have most likely now overfilled the box. You should drain the oil and fill the correct measured amount

·
Registered
15 Posts
It should not spill out of the breather, there is no level plug fitted anymore so you measure the amount filled. You have most likely now overfilled the box. You should drain the oil and fill the correct measured amount
Will it break with 400ml on top of the recommended oil?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts