Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a grinding like sound which sounds like it is coming from the passenger side I only get this noise in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear anyone got any ideas on if a oil change would help or it requires another box.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
worn brake pads maybe or maybe a knackered wheel bearing. Jack each front wheel up and check for play while holding the wheel at 6 oclock and spin the wheel to try replicate the noise.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks for the reply but I would have thought that if it was either of them things then it would stay like that all of the time but when I am in 4th or 5th the noise goes.

·
Registered
248 Posts
might be a speed thing, so when u are in higher gear you wont hear it. In first or second, does the sound change when you press the brake. ie does a sharp press on the brake stop the noise before the car comes to a halt

To be honest though, it does sound like the gear box. I had a similar effect on my Seat Alhambra. It turned out to be the central bearing on the gear box had collapsed, so the central shaft had moved over slightly and the grinding noise was the gear teeth wearing a hole in the gear box case. Watch out for any gear oil patches on the drive or fine splinters of alloy metal. wasn't too bad to swap it over though for a second hand one

1 - 4 of 4 Posts