Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a new clutch fitted last week and car was returned to me at work. On driving it home I found it was grinding shifting up into 3rd gear, on further driving I discovered going from 5th to 4th, and 4th to 3rd also produced grinding / engagement problems. Went back to garage after doing some investigation to find out what grade of gear box oil they put in, I was told 75W/90, I then informed them the manufacturer recommended spec was Total BV 75W/80 API GL-4+. I went to the dealership and got some, and got the garage to change to the correct grade. Now, about 100 miles after this was done, I still have problems shifting up into 3rd, or from 2nd to 4th, or back down from 5th to 4th or 4th to 3rd, and I have noticed it grinding a bit going into reverse. I can however now engage 2nd to 3rd if pause and do it slowly letting the revs drop.

I am totally confused as to what is going on, the gearbox was 100% before going into the garage and the Haynes manual says it should be API GL5???. When the incorrect grade was in the gear box I could not engage 3rd without grinding whilst stationary on the driveway. I don't have the car manual to check the oil grade, it is the 2.0 GLX Sport 2002 model, can someone advise the recommended oil grade, I found out the Total BV 75W/80 API GL-4+ was a new formula and I suspect the friction factors are out as it appears the synchros are taking too long to spin up or spin down :s Any advice on this would be much appreciated...

D

·
0 Posts
More like sounds like a rubbish clutch than gearbox problems. Especially doing it in all gears. What make of clutch did they fit?

·
5,867 Posts
What does the pedal travel feel like if light/spongey at the top of the travel maybe they disconnected/replaced slave cylinder and did not bleed clutch fully so clutch dragging

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I press and hold the clutch in for a five count, I can engage the gears when the revs drop. Also, it gets better when the oil has heated up. The clutch is fine in changing into 1st, 2nd and 5th so it is properly disengaging. I did a stationary test in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th with the clutch pushed in and reving the engine and no movement what so ever to suggest it is dragging...

They fitted a LUK clutch and replaced the input shaft guide and clutch fork.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Think I am missing something, surely if the clutch was dragging it doesn't matter what gear I was in it would affect them all, not just changing into 3rd or 4th???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will be going back tomorrow, just thought I would give the new gear oil and clutch a chance to bed in, but doesn't look like it is going to get any better. I have read a load of forums about problems with the wrong grade of gear oil causing problems with synchros, so I am still pretty sure that is the problem. I am guessing it had Esso SAE 75W80 API GL5 in the box, which you can't get now as it is not Mobil oils. The haynes manuals are usually spot on, so wondering how the dealer can say GL4+ is ok when Haynes says GL5 and they are significantly different in how they work on the metal surfaces to create friction and inhibit wear. Have you ever heard of a clutch drag only affecting 1 or 2 gears???

·
Registered
169 Posts
The oil's a red herring. I agree that the problem is with the clutch. If you wait to let the revs drop down you will find you can change gear without touching the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So why is it only affecting 3rd and 4th gear, surely if the clutch was dragging it would affect all of them??? I am reasonably proficient at most mechanical things so I am going to try bleeding the clutch at the weekend. The clutch pedal seems fine, no sponginess and the bite point seems to be in the same place so I am guessing it is not the master or slave cylinders.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It is puzzling why you're only having trouble with 3rd and 4th. However I've re-read your original post and you said that if you tried to engage 3rd while stationary it was grinding. When you depress the clutch when stationary everything in the gearbox should stop. Therefore if the clutch is operating correctly 3rd cannot grind because the shafts are not turning. Wrong grades of oil are only likely to have a derogatory effect over the longer term, any oil would normally work ok in the short term.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts