Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there.

I bought a 2004 peugeot 307 cheap as chips the other day with no Mot or Tax. It's got 80000 miles on the clock.

To get it through the Mot I had to change headlight bulbs, registration bulbs, put screen wash in the car!, put a wheel nut in each wheel as they were missing one, change front brakes, change both rear springs and sort a bad oil leak.

I've now got tax and Mot. Great I thought. I'll use this for a month or so and sell it. Went for a drive and there's a terrible grinding noise especially in first gear.

When I press the clutch, the noise disappears and returns as soon as I depress. When travelling quite fast in fourth and fifth, there is no noise and it's a nice quiet drive to be fair.

So does this sound like gear box bearings?

What gearboxes can I fit into my 307? My 307 is a 04 plate, 1.4 petrol manual.

Can I use the 1.6, 2.0 or Diesel gear boxes? Any others out of a Citroen? .

As always, very much appreciate any help, suggestions and advice.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Me again. So I've been pretty much told that I should i buy the exact gearbox. I'm now trying to find the exact gearbox I need for my car.

I've been on service box and this is what I've got:

Gearbox Transmission
TRANSMISSION BVM5
GEARBOX (CHARACTERISTICS) BVM MA5 / L
GEARBOX TYPE (TYPE APPROVAL) GEARBOX MA/5 L
GEARBOX TYPE MA

CP (13X59)
MARKING (CP42) CN19 (CQ15) CQ15 CP42
UP TO O 10191 + 2449 A6 (1)

All the gear boxes I'm looking at seem to have a six digit code. An example is 20CP42.

Where do I get this particular 6 digit part number from? I believe it's the reference number from what I've managed to dig up.

None of the numbers I've gotten from service box seem to correspond with anything. Can anybody please steer me into the correct direction.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If the noise is only really in 1st and 2nd then it's probably the front input shaft bearing that's gone. You can tell when you get the box out because the shaft will be wobbly. They only cost about £20 + the front oil seal(which is integral with the release bearing sleeve and available from ECP) and you can wriggle them out without completely dismantling the box. (you do still have to do quite a bit though) You'll need anew clutch as well of course.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts