Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I have to remove the gear shift cable from the multi funtion switch on top of the AL4 gearbox of my 406.
I notice it connects via a ball joint. Does this just clip off? I see it removed in the schematics but no instructions how to remove it.
I thought I would rather check than break something.. :)

Thanking in advance!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yes it just disconnects with a bit of force but there is a procedure to adjust the multi functions switch when you reconnect it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I just need to remove it to get to the filler plug.
I will not be touching the multi function switch.

Do I still need to re-adjust the multi function switch?

·
Registered
142 Posts
If your doing the gearbox oil procedure then you don’t need to take it off at all funnily enough I done it on a Picasso Friday you can open the filler plug without removing gearshift link and i have made myself a filler for the AL4 with a length of 10mm pipe attatched to a small funnel, so easy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks very much for the help!

Yes I am going to change the fluid.
Will try work around it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
142 Posts
The Oil Change procedure:
1- Drive the car and ensure the oil temperature is between 59 and 69 degrees.
2- Park the car and ensure it is level, If the temperature is higher than 69, wait until it cools and if it is cooler keep the engine running and change gears with foot on the brake and hand brake on.
3- With the temperature around 64, and only after you loosen the upper filling plug (you don't want to end up with an empty gear that you cannot fill) Gear in P position:
a- Open the drainage plug using a square 8 mm plug. Remember the oil is on the HOT side
b- Insert a 6 mm or 7 mm (I cannot remember) Hex key and unscrew and withdraw the plastic level piece.
c- Forget changing the Oil Filter or Pump, it is a big job.
d- Once all the oil is out in the pan, quantify it (about 3.6 liter), do what ever you need to get as much oil out as possible.
e- Reinsert the plastic level indicator (tighten well, but not over tighten) and replace the drainage plug but tighten loosely (you will know why in a minute).
f- Open the Filler plug and fit the plastic hose in the filling hole (it should be a tight fit.
g- Fit the funnel to the other end of the hose.
h- fill in the new oil, 0.5 liter more that what you took out.
i- Start the car and go through the gears slowly.
j- When the oil temperature reaches between 59 and 69, and while the engine is running and the gear is in P position. Place a new drain container under the drainage point and reopen the drainage plug.
k- The excess oil (0.5 liter) will drain down. When oil stops dripping or when dripping is very light, you can close the plug tight.
l- You can close the upper filler plug.

You are done .. the whole thing takes about one and half hours, mostly preparation and temperature control.

• Please notice that when you add the new oil, temperature will drop down, you need to raise it to the required temperature.
  • I have seen a number of stupid processes before, this will definitely make it to the top 10.

I have written this from memory, I hope I did not miss any thing. You will need PP2000 to control the temperature and to reset the oil counter back to zero.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks yes the instructions are spot on thanks!
I've done quite of bit of research before I do the oil change.

I don't believe the oil has ever been changed in 120k miles.
Thus I want to drain it and fill it 3x times to flush the fluid out of the torque converter etc as per the Coupe procedure I linked above.

I don't have PP2000 so I will have to drive the car for 10min and then do the change and hope
it's correct temperature. It's just not possible to have PP2000 at hand when doing the oil change.
I will visit a Peugeot dealer asap to reset the oil wear counter.

Do you think I could pull it off this way?

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I can assure you it is possible to use pp2000 whilst doing the oil change, this is the procedure outlined by service box I do this, both when changing the ATF and servicing the control module, once the last 0.5l drains through it will run cherry red indicating it’s gone through the gears using that amount of ATF is a waste really, but if you do it that way the counters will need to be reset because it tells the gearbox ECU that it has been done, if it’s not reset then it will cause gearbox issues once the counter reaches the prescribed mileage limit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone that helped!

I did the gearbox fluid change and my PUG is shifting better now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts