Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a Peugeot 508SW (2011) 1.6HDI.

I've had it almost a year and it's been a brilliant car, drives very smoothly, pulls well and returns over 50mpg.

Recently I drove it 30 miles and just as I arrived the engine management light flagged up. I proceeded to park without a problem. After 3 hours, we were ready to leave and I suspected (hoped!) the problem would have gone away but it hadn't and I couldn't start the car. Called the RAC who diagnosed a faulty fuel pump (or fuel pump sensor).

After a free tow home, the next day I get it taken to a local garage that came highly recommended. After not much happening for a few days, they tell me that they don't think it's the fuel pump but think it's the injectors and are going to remove all four and get them checked. Lo and behold, it now needs FOUR new injectors! To say I'm shocked would be an understatement.

Now, I don't know much about cars but to my mind if all the injectors were going, surely I'd have had some indication? Maybe not starting, poor running, going into limp mode or something?

Has anyone any idea if this sounds right as I just don'e know what to think.

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I wonder if they damaged them trying to remove them and so will be charging you for new ones! I would ask to see the ones that came out.

Reactions: JoyOfPug

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Sounds fishy to me the 1.6 injectors are not common failures certainly not all 4 what led them to that conclusion ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your posts

Thank you all for your posts. It seems you are as sceptical as I am...

They didn't give me any fault codes and I don't know why they felt it was the injectors and not the fuel pump (or sensor) as the RAC man said. Apparently they did their own diagnosis which took them almost a week!

I spoke to them yesterday (after this post) and they told me the place they are getting the new injectors from require my old ones, presumably to recondition them (?), although they assured me that the ones they'd be fitting will be brand new.

When I said I could supply brand new ones at the same price (which meant I could keep my old ones), they said they wouldn't fit customer supplied parts, something to do with warranty...

I really feel like they've got me by the wotsits but what can I do?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Probably no fault codes because they used a generic reader, leading them to guess and prat about with the injectors.

I've been driving since 2001, done hundreds of thousands of miles and never had an injector fail. Let a lone all 4 at once.

I'd like to guess they'll stick 4 new ones in and it won't sort the issue.

I'm glad my mechanic admits he doesn't have anything to do with diagnostics. Part of the reason I have my own. Means I can avoid the local Peugeot dealer muppets.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
I think it sounds like they think its the injectors and hoping you will just accept their opinion i dont believe for 1 minute that all 4 injectors can just fail for no reason.

If they are fitting brand new ones then ask to see the proof im betting they are getting yours reconned and hope that will fix the problem then when it does not will simply want more cash from you.

Not much you can do now other than tell them you wont authorise any more expenditure if the injectors dont cure it.

·
3,287 Posts
Thats a poor diagnosis,I've never hears of all 4 failing...worn possibly...although on some engines ,if the high pressure pump starts to break up,that could put swarf into the injectors but by replacing them without the pump would still put swarf into the new injectors and cause issues later....I think they have jumped into the puddle with both feet before looking properly....

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hmmmm..al sounds a bit fishy to me.

1. Did they use Peugeot Planet to do the diagnostics or some more generic system?

2. They removed the injectors to 'get them checked'. How did they actually check them?

3. If they are fitting 4 brand new injectors, then before they send the old ones back ask to see both the old and the new injectors together at the same time. If they are not willing to show you 8 injectors (4 old and 4 new) then I would be even more suspicious.

4. If you go ahead with injector replacement then as stated by others make sure the garage agrees to not charge you for any further work should the new injectors not be the full cure to your ills.

5. Did they ask you first for permission to remove all 4 injectors before starting the work?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Each injector has its own number to be entered in the ECU. Write down the numbers of old injectors and you can see later if new or old ones are inserted.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Perhaps you could try to get your nearest Peugeot dealer onside. Then if you need to take this garage to the small claims division you've got the authority of the main agent on your side.
At the same time from what people have said it sounds like a case for Trading Standards or Citizen's Advice. Sorry to say though I think you're in for some argy bargy.

·
Registered
112 Posts
no experience with injectors in peugeots but quite a bit done on delphi diesel injectors, and unless a catastrophic event blocks them all at once they wont just go all at once,, as they wear out more fuel returns through the leak off pipes, when they get so worn that the leak off reduces the pressure in the supply ecu will not allow the engine to start to protect it and a low pressure diagnostic code will be stored and the engine management light will come on, this doesnt happen suddenly, as they wear out and the pressure starts to get near the critical figure that the pressure sensor reads it will start to get harder to start especially when cold as the colder the engine the lower the pressure, once you have the car started it will restart easily as the engine is hot and 'ups' the pressure, leave the car standing an hour or 2 and it will be hard to start again, really cold weather is usually the time you start to have starting problems,,, eventually as the injectors wear even more and the pressure is not enough at sensor to allow the ecu to start car you will only be able to start car with easy start or brake cleaner, this bypasses the ecu as the car has started and the ecu then doesnt come into play, the car will probably restart for a while when hot but at this stage you should have done a leak off test to check injectors, the garage would/should have tried to start car with easystart or similar and then done a leakoff test,,,, this doesnt really help you but it might give you an idea why i dont use garages, they used to be mechanics, they are now fitters, fit a part if that doesnt work fit another etc etc, the least you should expect from them is to provide fault codes to justify their actions,,,, good luck

·
Registered
194 Posts
Had similar issues on a PEUGEOT 4007, although it drove in limp mode. Peugeot changed the fuel filter and sorted the problem. Blocked fuel filters on diesels can cause all sorts of problems and they need to be genuine Peugeot filters. Ask the garage to check the fuel filter, if your having new injectors fitted at a cost of hundreds of pounds any decent garage would recommend a new fuel filter anyway to protect your investment..

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Correct the filters peugeot sell you are NOT peugeot filters they just have peugeot part numbers on the box !

Just like brake pads/discs/clutches starters alternators etc these are ALL bought in from suppliers.

A 4007 is not a real peugeot anyway so you may have been better with a mitsubishi filter :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Correct the filters peugeot sell you are NOT peugeot filters they just have peugeot part numbers on the box !

Just like brake pads/discs/clutches starters alternators etc these are ALL bought in from suppliers.

A 4007 is not a real peugeot anyway so you may have been better with a mitsubishi filter :)
A Mitsubishi Filter for a Ford / PSA engine?? Why would I want to do that?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Not true. Peugeot don't make fuel filters, they use suppliers such as UFI, Mann and Bosch. A decent filter from a motor factors will be fine. I use Bosch ones from ECP and never had any issues.
My point about using a new fuel filter when spending hundreds on new injectors still stands. Whats wrong with using a Peugeot recommended filter for pence more money?

·
Registered
648 Posts
True, although it won't be pence, it will be pounds. The fact is that you can buy OE parts from many places other than the dealers for a fraction of the price. You do not need to buy OE parts at inflated prices from the dealer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not true. Peugeot don't make fuel filters, they use suppliers such as UFI, Mann and Bosch. A decent filter from a motor factors will be fine. I use Bosch ones from ECP and never had any issues.
Im not saying aftermarket filters are bad but from my experience of comparing the fuel filters supplied from peugeot and aftermarket for my 2.0 hdi the original has superior construction.

Thats not to say a pattern part would not do, but I prefer the genuine part where reasonable to do so. Manufacturers of aftermarket parts often cut corners for the aftermarket or are not aware of performance requirements of the vehicle builder.

Ive seen many parts that seem to carry the “oe” name but would never find their way on to a production line.

In a former life I was an engine development tester and project engineer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts