Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps, first post in this forum, so be gentle.

I picked up a 2006 407 SW to replace my 407 saloon and have a couple of initial issues.
There appears to be exhaust fumes getting into the car that seem to come from the dash air vents, no smoke comes from the exhaust that I can see, but the smell inside is quite unpleasant, and also the heater seems to need cranking up to 27 before it even starts to get warm.
Any temp set below that and you get the odd waft of cool air coming out...

Engine seems to run at around 70 - 85 degrees, the aircon must need a recharge as it doesn't really get that cold either..

Any ideas on the above please?

Many thanks

Darrin

·
5,040 Posts
Is it a 1.6 hdi ??
Could be heater flaps
Mine runs cool as well

Sent from my Lenovo TB-7304F using Tapatalk

·
5,040 Posts
Are the fumes there all the time or intermittent

·
5,040 Posts
Unusual,Flexi leaking maybe ??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I experienced similar in an Iveco van once where the hose before the EGR was split, is this the same do you think?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I had the fume issue on a 405 years ago. It was a leaking injector seal. The fumes got really bad when stopping at a junction. Didn't notice it much when motoring.
I think the exhaust fumes had been forced out of the engine through the leak then sucked in to the cabin by the heater fan.
It could also be oil dripping onto the exhaust manifold too so there's another thing to check.

Grumpy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the fume issue on a 405 years ago. It was a leaking injector seal. The fumes got really bad when stopping at a junction. Didn't notice it much when motoring.
I think the exhaust fumes had been forced out of the engine through the leak then sucked in to the cabin by the heater fan.
It could also be oil dripping onto the exhaust manifold too so there's another thing to check.

Grumpy
As I know very little about cars, would I be right in thinking then that if there's no smoke coming out of the rear of the car, then engine itself isn't burning oil internally to produce these fumes...

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Hi Pasty,

no, what you're burning is a type of oil and what you are smelling is the exhaust gasses produced when diesel is being burnt in the cylinder, then escaping under pressure through a broken injector seal.
Regardless of weather you physically see smoke or not, the fumes (gases) are present in the exhaust.

Grumpy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Pasty,

no, what you're burning is a type of oil and what you are smelling is the exhaust gasses produced when diesel is being burnt in the cylinder, then escaping under pressure through a broken injector seal.
Regardless of weather you physically see smoke or not, the fumes (gases) are present in the exhaust.

Grumpy
Ok thanks, so how would you go about tracing where it's coming from if you can't really "see" the fumes?

·
Registered
821 Posts
You spray soapy water at any place you suspect air is being forced out. Lots of bubbles = leak!

You can make it yourself too, washing up liquid (or some car shampoos) + water in a spray bottle

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You spray soapy water at any place you suspect air is being forced out. Lots of bubbles = leak!

You can make it yourself too, washing up liquid (or some car shampoos) + water in a spray bottle
Thanks for that, so if that shows nothing, I guess it's oil leaking and hitting something hot....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts