Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My 53 plate 307sw2.0hdi (with 168000miles on the clock) recently broke down out of the blue. Was running perfectly then suddenly no power.

I found that lift pump was not working so I've bought a used one from ebay.
Did not fit tonight as i'm waiting for new seal so just connected the power cable to replacement to check if pump would make a noise, but nothing. Does the pump need to be submerged in diesel for it to work, is there a sensor on it that detects fuel? Sorry if this appears to be a silly question.

thanks in advance

·
6,435 Posts
Pump should run for a few seconds on Ign on.

Are you sure you have a lift pump in the tank only some early Bosch models have them.

Siemens systems do not have one, check under bonnet for primer bulb if unsure, if there is a bulb no pump

·
Registered
274 Posts
i saw something similar a while ago, car stopped and the customer went online to find a cure and decided that it needed a new pump in the tank. he fitted a new pump and got the car going but about a 100 miles later and 2 new primer bulbs has burst. it was a Siemens system and he had fitted a tank pump and surprisingly it worked but was pressuring the system and bursting the primers.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fuse F4

Hi
Finally getting around to try and sort this out.

Symptoms are no power to lift pump in tank and fuse F4 keeps blowing, so engine turns but will not start. Lift pump and relay are fine so something is causing fuse F4 to blow.

Has anyone any ideas and perhaps wiring diagram for lift pump?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
You still did not answer the question are you SURE your car has a lift pump.

ALL looms have the wiring to the pump regardless of the presence of a pump as the looms are standard

ALL cars have the relay people call a pump relay but its not really a pump relay.

Bosch injection has a pump siemens does not

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi
Yes definitely has a lift pump in the fuel tank, I've tested this directly with a 12 volt supply and it works fine. Just need to figure out now why fuse F4 is blowing

cheers

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you for the replies

So if you power up the pump in the tank then try to start car does it start ?
Tried this and still won't start.

As I don't have a wiring diagram I'm going to disconnect all the sensors in the engine bay and connect them one by one to see if it's one of them that causes the F4 fuse to blow. As i'm a novice with vehicle electrics notb sure how else to approach this.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Ok the pump not running is a symptom NOT the cause

Power to the pump comes from the double relay this also powers the ecu and some engine parts i would expect your going to be looking for shorted wiring not a faulty sensor start at the fuel pressure sensor wiring as this is a common non start cause.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for reply. removed F4 fuse and checked voltage across fuse socket terminals with ignition on and this showed 12 volts so confirmed now that it is a short circuit like you said. Will start checking wiring tomorrow weather permitting.

Is there any quick way of checking wiring with multimeter or is it a case of checking them all manually?

cheers

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well you're looking for a short to ground probably so measure between each wire and ground or battery negative. Anything less than whatever the resistance of the pump happens to be is bad. It may be Intermittent though so shake the wires.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
At the pump connection how many wires are there? Unfortunately the Haynes manual does not show the circuit. Anyway with power off, better to disconnect the battery earth lead, and using a multi meter fit a pin to one of the instruments cables after disconnecting it from the pump and with the meter set to Ohms or resistance push the pin through the insulation of one of the cables and put the other lead to earth. You should not get a reading. Do that with each cable and any that makes the needle on the meter go to 0 then that is the one that is shorted.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks all for replies. Managed to get the car running, I think but i'm not sure it may have been down to poor dirty connections in coolant sensor connector. One of these is green and appeared to be a bit wet.

I've ordered new sensor but also need new mail connector for the sensor but cannot find them anywhere on the web. Does anyone know where I can get this?

Cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts