Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening folks, Filled the car up Friday afternoon, filled it as much as possible. Drove about 35 mins, parked up on a steepish hill, left the car, I was away for about 25 mins, went back to the car and there was fuel dripping from the base of the tank and the fuel lines. Enough to cause a hint of concern.

Drove home, parked up and there was spotting along the road where it'd dripped fuel as I drove home.

Went out today to find out where it was leaking and cause of the leak. Gave the base of the tank a good clean, as well as the fuel lines and surrounding areas, and dried everything off thoroughly.

No sign of any leak.

Started the car up, put a sheet of paper down to catch any drips, left the engine running, the paper is bone dry.

It's thrown me a bit, because the amount of fuel dripping from the bottom of the tank was enough to make me think "s**t", yet it's as dry as Gandhi's flip flop now.

Is it possible that over-filling (for want of a better phrase) was the cause of the leaking? There aren't any signs of cracking or fracture in the tank or pipes. The only places I can think of are the pump access point (not had chance to check) or the filler opening.

Has anyone had anything similar?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Had a similar experience at a fuel station, filled to the brim went in to pay and when I came out there was a stream of fuel from under the car, like you had a panic but after a few minutes and the scattering of sand on the forecourt it stopped. I put it down to overfilling and made sure I didnt go beyond the first auto cut off and it didnt happen again.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Filler necks have a habit of leaking , only 3/4 fill it in future

Evening folks, Filled the car up Friday afternoon, filled it as much as possible. Drove about 35 mins, parked up on a steepish hill, left the car, I was away for about 25 mins, went back to the car and there was fuel dripping from the base of the tank and the fuel lines. Enough to cause a hint of concern.

Drove home, parked up and there was spotting along the road where it'd dripped fuel as I drove home.

Went out today to find out where it was leaking and cause of the leak. Gave the base of the tank a good clean, as well as the fuel lines and surrounding areas, and dried everything off thoroughly.

No sign of any leak.

Started the car up, put a sheet of paper down to catch any drips, left the engine running, the paper is bone dry.

It's thrown me a bit, because the amount of fuel dripping from the bottom of the tank was enough to make me think "s**t", yet it's as dry as Gandhi's flip flop now.

Is it possible that over-filling (for want of a better phrase) was the cause of the leaking? There aren't any signs of cracking or fracture in the tank or pipes. The only places I can think of are the pump access point (not had chance to check) or the filler opening.

Has anyone had anything similar?

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers Betty, that makes sense, it sounds like what happened to robapotamout too.

I was dreading the thought of having to wallop the tank off. I've done enough of that at work, I don't really fancy doing it at home too.

I'll have to keep an eye on it to see if the leak reappears after the car is under load and not just idling.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drove to work this morning, went outside just now to check and there's now a diesel slick down the road......

Opened up the pump access and this is what I've found (see pics). Diesel has been pooling up around the fuel pump. Would this correlate with "overfilling" the tank?

I guess that if overfilling is resulting in fuel leaking out of the top of the tank, then I'll need to replace a seal/gasket?

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi
I would at minimum take the pump out and replace seal, if nothing else the cost will be nothing in comparison to the fuel loss cost, let alone the safety aspect!!!!

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts