Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:I cannot undo my fuel filter on my 2.0 hdi, i am turning it anti- clockwise but its on so tight its starting to damage the plastic nut. Please help.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Our David had the same on a KIA, gave up and took it to an indy. They had it in a vice with a large wrench and it was a pig to undo. What im saying is it might need to come out the same for heavier tools to get at.

J

·
0 Posts
Mine too was a pain to get open, but perseverance paid off in the end. Try giving it a little at a time, if you know what I mean, rather than a constant force. Might help to press down at the same time too. Are you using a spanner, or a 27mm socket? Socket probably best :nod:

When you do get it open, smear a little oil on to the threads before doing it back up - it might help next time you need to change it :thumb:

·
5,043 Posts
Mine too was a pain to get open, but perseverance paid off in the end. Try giving it a little at a time, if you know what I mean, rather than a constant force. Might help to press down at the same time too. Are you using a spanner, or a 27mm socket? Socket probably best :nod:

When you do get it open, smear a little oil on to the threads before doing it back up - it might help next time you need to change it :thumb:
also its feckin cold so the plastic's gonna be more brittle. watch you dont break it !!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

:(I was using a 27mm socket but it was starting to damage the head so i used a large 27mm spanner but no joy with that and it seemed a slightly loose fit. I have gone and brought a large 26mm spanner , so i will try that in the morning. I think its such a bad idea having a plastic top, i am just worried that its going to break trying to get it off.

·
5,043 Posts
it has been mentioned before to remove the housing and clamp it in a vice to get better purchase on everything, never had to do this myself but sure others have. The housing shouldnt be too pricey tho...i'll check prices in a bit

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I guess they get that tight by folks who don't understand what they are doing properly. My bottom joint one side took all my strength to undo those E bolts and using a 2 ft lever.
Thats one good point in favour of the 1.6 then the fuel filter being throw away fit new.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it has been mentioned before to remove the housing and clamp it in a vice to get better purchase on everything, never had to do this myself but sure others have. The housing shouldnt be too pricey tho...i'll check prices in a bit
:)Think its near on £50 for the housing off flea bay, will try with the 26mm spanner tomorrow if no joy will see whats involved to remove the housing.

J

·
0 Posts
They are £66.61 incl. VAT from Peugeot - that is the filter body and filter itself... but, with a bit of luck it won't come to that :thumb:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Just looked at prices, so the 2.0 ltr filter is half the price of the 1.6 unless you need to buy the housing too. Didnt realise it was a plastic housing we were looking at. Still must be easier to get success if it can be put on a bench. How about pouring hot water over it before using the spanners

J

·
0 Posts
They are a pain, and being mounted right on top of the engine means it all gets rather warm, and probably adds to the problem of separating the two parts. If only they had made it from metal, same with the oil filter :rolleyes:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:(Well i could not shift my filter open, its so tight its breaking up trying to open it. I have brought a brand new one from peugeot, and it must be a common fault with them. because even that was hard to open.
I put it in a vice and got there in the end, but boy i thought that was going to break up too. I think i might smear the thread with rubber grease when i get round to fitting it, just waiting for the sun to come out first.lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts