Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, really need some help to try and get my 308 running again.

We changed the oil filter, fuel filter and air conditioning condenser yesterday and everything went smoothly or so I thought.

We come to prime the new fuel filter and after pumping for god knows how long using the button on top of the fuel filter housing nothing has happened.

The resistance in the button hasn't changed and the filter isn't full of fuel.

I don't know if the button is broken? It is pushing something out but not at any great rate but its a tiny button so I don't know how much it should be pushing every pump. Is there a way that we can manually fill it and get the system going.

What should I be looking at as potential other issues. The tank is just over half full and there is so little to go wrong with replacing the fuel filter that I can't think its a bad install. We ended up putting the old filter back in when the light died as a last hope but it didn't make any different as we assumed it wouldn't.

Any ideas? We got our breakdown out in the hope they could do something but he wasn't massively useful and basically told us he thinks the pump is dead or something is clogged and will cost us a small fortune to get it fixed. He looked at the engine, got me to turn it over a few times and that was it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i dont know what engine is yours, but on mine 1.6 bluehdi 120 i didnt have to prime the fuel filter, just replaced it and that was it, no priming at all.. are you sure everything is correctly connected and put back together ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Its the 1.6HDi and we took the damn thing out 4-5 times and reconnected the connectors a number of times so I'm pretty sure it was installed OK. The things that's most annoying is that its such a simple thing to replace that I can't imagine how you could mess it up. It can't go in backwards and its so simple.

The manual seems to suggest that it needs priming if the fuel is empty for this one from what I can tell.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just hooked it up to diagbox and got the error code

P2291

Cleared all codes around the engine related stuff and that was the only one that came up afterwards. Does that help at all?

·
Registered
14 Posts
i dont know what engine is yours, but on mine 1.6 bluehdi 120 i didnt have to prime the fuel filter, just replaced it and that was it, no priming at all.. are you sure everything is correctly connected and put back together ?
Did you have to cycle the ignition a few times before starting or did you put new fuel in the new filter at all when fitting?

·
6,270 Posts
Check the fuel lines from the filter for a priming bulb most normal 1.6 HDI have them and not a in tank pump.

I have never seen one with a primer on the fuel filter your code is for low fuel pressure.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Well it's what you'd expect if there's no fuel present in the high pressure pump.

What Does P2291 Code Mean? The Injector Control Pressure Sensor (ICP) monitors the oil pressure that controls the fuel injectors. ... The engine computer (PCM) monitors fuel pressure when the engine is running. If the oil pressure is too low, code P2291 will be stored.
The handbook suggests you do the priming again and then try to start the engine again but I presume you've already tried that.

Is the fuel filter bowl completely dry of fuel? It will take a lot of presses on the little button to bring fuel from the tank and then bring the level up in the bowl if so. Try pouring some spotless diesel into the bowl and then put the filter in. Reconnect everything up and try the process again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Check the fuel lines from the filter for a priming bulb most normal 1.6 HDI have them and not a in tank pump.

I have never seen one with a primer on the fuel filter your code is for low fuel pressure.
Its definitely got a button pump on the fuel filter housing and the manual references it.

Well it's what you'd expect if there's no fuel present in the high pressure pump.

The handbook suggests you do the priming again and then try to start the engine again but I presume you've already tried that.

Is the fuel filter bowl completely dry of fuel? It will take a lot of presses on the little button to bring fuel from the tank and then bring the level up in the bowl if so. Try pouring some spotless diesel into the bowl and then put the filter in. Reconnect everything up and try the process again.
We have tried:

Pumping for ages before starting the car. Pump button never gets any harder to press and car doesn't start.

Putting oil into the filter until its coming out and then trying to to start it.

Putting oil into the filter until its full and then pumping for ages before trying to start it.

I am thinking of buying a replacement fuel filter housing in case that is damaged in some way because I have no idea what else could have happened. This isn't a fault that developed out of the blue as such. We changed the fuel filter (along with the oil filter/oil and the air con condenser) and the car wouldn't start.

We have had the filter out a good 8 times now trying different things and making sure it will installed into the housing properly.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
This might sound stupid but are the pipes connected the right way round, i.e. to the correct stubs on the filter, or is it not possible to make that mistake on these filters? I know it's possible on some.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This might sound stupid but are the pipes connected the right way round, i.e. to the correct stubs on the filter, or is it not possible to make that mistake on these filters? I know it's possible on some.
Literally not possible. It’s a triangular layout of screws that attach the filter to the housing and then 2 bolts at the back attack that to the car. Unfortunately it’s idiot proof.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Its definitely got a button pump on the fuel filter housing and the manual references it.

We have tried:

Pumping for ages before starting the car. Pump button never gets any harder to press and car doesn't start.

Putting oil into the filter until its coming out and then trying to to start it.

Putting oil into the filter until its full and then pumping for ages before trying to start it.

I am thinking of buying a replacement fuel filter housing in case that is damaged in some way because I have no idea what else could have happened. This isn't a fault that developed out of the blue as such. We changed the fuel filter (along with the oil filter/oil and the air con condenser) and the car wouldn't start.

We have had the filter out a good 8 times now trying different things and making sure it will installed into the housing properly.
when you say oil into filter you do mean diesel ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did indeed. If engine oil was getting in the fuel filter I would have BIG issues!

I’ve ordered a replacement fuel filter housing for £35 so fingers crossed it’s a bad pump on the housing causing the issues.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Replaced the fuel filter housing and everything worked perfectly. Car was left at partners parents and her dad fitted the new housing and pumped it about 20 times and the car started fine.

Thanks for all the help and thankfully it was a simple issue to fix. Now to get the aircon regassed and hope that we have fitted the condenser properly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You are going to have a close look at the old filter housing to find out what happened I hope?
There is no obvious external damage so I will see about opening it up at some point. Seems like somewhat of a sealed unit though so I don't know how I will do that without causing so much damage that its hard to tell what was broken and what I have broken

1 - 18 of 18 Posts