Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 207 from the same year, one is the HDi 1.6 hatchback and the other is the HDi 1.6 SPORT SW (Estate). They are both driven by the same two drivers who exchange the cars frequently and do the same type of mileage, some dual carriage ways, but mostly A roads between towns. The Hatchback averages 65 MPG but the SW only gets 54 MPG. This has been noticed for over two years and both drivers have tried to improve this, but have never managed it.
Why is the SPORT so much worse? They both have the same engine, is it set up differently for performance? I presumed it was just cosmetic, alloy wheels, better interior, etc.

Any ideas???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The two cars park next to each other every day, the difference is negligable. Same length, just a very slightly longer roof (which should improve air dynamics). The SPORT must be mapped differently for a more responsive engine, I can't believe the gear ratios will be different but I could look it up.
Approx. 10 MPG seems a big difference for such little cosmetic differences! Maybe next service I should ask for more economy, less performance; but why would you make a sporty small diesel when petrol versions are available?

·
Registered
202 Posts
you'll be amazed how much small differences can make in terms of aerodynamics, estates in general tend to have a larger area of low pressure behind the rear bumper = more drag. but yes the gear ratios and map probably make up the majority of the difference. not sure how as id imagine they have the same power output, so the real world difference shouldnt be too great. are the trim levels any different?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts