Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if there are different length struts for the 206?
I tried changing my front springs today and the new ones are much longer and I couldn't compress them enough. I had spring compressors & ratchet straps and no way it will go that short.
I checked part numbers and the car had much shorter springs from a 1.6 16v petrol 206 not the 1.6hdi ones. (both KYB parts)
What I cant find is are the struts shorter too :( KYB just list one strut for all 206's but Peugeot has loads of different part numbers.
Or if anybody has one lying around what is the overall length :thumb:
If I cant find out will have to chance getting new KYB struts too and hope they are longer.

This car doesn't want to be fixed :nono:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
The old springs will appear shorter because they have weakened through age and use so don't return to the original new size. When I changed the front springs on my 307 I had to use two pairs of compressors to get them compressed enough to rebuild the struts.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The old ones are shorter because they are different the part numbers verified this. I expected new ones to be longer but not by this much.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Then I'd guess that someone has replaced the original struts with a set complete with springs off the petrol version - maybe bought them from a scrapper thinking same model - bound to fit.

If you are certain the new springs you bought are correct for the car and they physically won't fit then the only possible reason is the wrong struts.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's my thinking as the petrol engine will be lighter but most suppliers only list 1 shock for the 206. Peugeot have loads of part numbers but no lengths given. Maybe the originals are different lengths :confused:

The springs on the car are KYB RA1125 which are 366mm long and listed for the 1.6 16v Petrol XSI.
Mine should have RA2026 which are 454mm long a big difference.

Think I will just order a pair of KYB shocks they are listed to fit with the springs I have so should be ok €75 the pair. Also needs new drop links :rolleyes:
Never ending :nono:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well got the new struts and they are a little longer. Not easy to get in but managed it with 4 ratchet straps.
But the car sits way to high :eek: like I have 2 curb stones in the boot.
Hope it settles a bit but I doubt it will much more.
May have to contact KYB see what they say I don't want to do it again. Be easier to compress the springs on the car and cut a ring off :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Well got the new struts and they are a little longer. Not easy to get in but managed it with 4 ratchet straps.
But the car sits way to high :eek: like I have 2 curb stones in the boot.
Hope it settles a bit but I doubt it will much more.
May have to contact KYB see what they say I don't want to do it again. Be easier to compress the springs on the car and cut a ring off :rolleyes:
I replaced just the springs on the front of my 307 and the front was riding high. Wasn't until I replaced the shocks and springs on the rear that the car looked level. Maybe you need rear springs as well as the fronts. Remember, the rear springs will be as old as the front springs you removed.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its got torsion bars on the back old skool Peugeot :D
Defiantly too high on the front I don't fancy pulling the torsion bars out to lift the back will look like an off roader :lol:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent KYB said they are the wrong springs for the GTI :mad:
The KYB catalogue only lists one spring for the 1.6HDI :nono:
Have asked them if they will swap them direct as the supplier isn't going to want used springs back :mad:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KYB now say they don't do a spring for the GTI and aren't prepared to help me :mad:
So I will have to buy a different make spring and change them or try and cut mine to lower it :(

Will never buy KYB again :nono:

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey all , sorry to bring this back from the dead, just got a 206 1.4 hDI van and replaced front shocks and springs and somethings not write sitting well high at front and running on outer rims on Tyres tried other shocks and springs just can't get it right HELP!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts