Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, stupid question alert

We're having a problem with our front left suspension, had the bush replaced around May/June this year, but we now have some serious trouble. The Peugeot garage has just quoted us £424.98 for all work to be done, they say the issue is the pivot support. Now any search for "pivot support" comes up with that silly bush, but if I needed to replace the whole thing, what am I looking for? Is there another name for it, should this really cost so much or does anyone have any ideas how this can become somewhat cheaper? I have found a front suspension leg on ebay PEUGEOT407 1.6 HDI FRONT SUSPENSION LEG R/H 2004-2010 | eBay, but I am not sure if this is what I need?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much!

Caithlinn

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi there

No such thing as a stupid question if you don't know!!

I've attached a link to a previous owners problem on a 407. There is an exploded diagram of suspension on page 2. Its worth checking so that you'll be buying the right part.
Looking at the diagram there are a lot of parts to remove and reassemble, so may be pricey on the labour? Could be disassemble, replace. reassemble and realign? I'm no expert though.

I'm sure an independent garage can still do the work though. Hourly rate will be cheaper than dealer that's for sure. And if you can buy the part you need, the independent should still fit it. Not sure if dealer would? Needs checking before you buy. Sorry can't be more help.

Link below:

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/407-41/suspension-help-16247/

Just noticed that link is for 2.0 hdi 407. But i am assuming suspension part is the same.

If you go to website called service box, set up an account - its free and therres a link on here somewhere how to do it, you can find the exact drawing according to your VIN number. It's official Peugeot site i believe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Reliable,

I wouldn't have a clue if it fits... chances are it does, but then, so many other bits don't... I think I may have to pass on that one, as tempting, since I can't even figure out properly what I really need... Thanks for the offer, though!

Caithlinn

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Savs,

Thanks again for your reply! I looked through the thread and at the diagram, but the leg looks different to the one I found on ebay... maybe they are different after all, as I suspected... I am still not sure though which part it actually is I need... Arrgh. I hate cars.. I think...

Caithlinn

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, yes, that's the bush we had replaced... I am currently looking at buying the entire leg.. including bushes... my hubby is collecting the car and will be asking the awkward questions about which part *actually* needs replacing. The weird thing is they quoted me £280 all inclusive first and then told me they had misjudged the time and would charge me LESS time, but it would then cost over £400... We will definitely get a second opinion and keep a close watch on that leg.

Thanks!

Caithlinn

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hm...

what is wrong... Well we had that discernible knock in spring and have had the car looked at by our local garage. They ordered the part (apparently all the bushes have part numbers, but they actually don't fit because they are not meant to be replaced, instead you *should* buy the whole hub) but after it didn't fit twice, I ordered one off ebay and this fitted perfectly. The labour charge wasn't small, but a lot less than what Peugeot has just quoted us.

Unfortunately the knock came back pretty much straight away and the garage checked it for us, and told us that because it's a replacement and not actually supposed to be replaced, they can't secure it properly. They did the best they could and it lasted for a while, but came back around late September.

Since then it has gotten progressively worse, a lot worse than the last time. There is a definitive shift when I brake and the car pulls to the left. The front left tyre is now below the legal limit in the outside (seriously bald) and the right front tyre is also getting close to it, because of the misalignment. There is a metallic scraping sound when I turn tight left hand corners and every time I brake, sometimes in connection with the shift and the knock. Last time, when it was definitely the bush, It happened mostly when we reversed never when braking though.

all in all, it feels unsafe (and I am sure it pretty much is). In any case it can't continue like this, not with the tyres being so bad and the misalignment and winter on the doorstep.

Caithlinn

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
U sure it ain't the bottom carrier joint/frip joint that's busted? You can buy the carrier Inc hub, wheel bearing and frip joint for about 100£ to save time on the repair. A genuine quality frip joint costs about 40£ though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Pivot knackered?

There was a bit of movement in the passenger side lower pivot bearing so I stripped it out and the inner ring fell off the pivot. The new bearing is also a loose fit on the pivot so I think the pivot is worn

Any solution other than a new hub carrier - and where will I get one?

thanks

2005 407sw 2.0 Hdi

1 - 13 of 13 Posts