Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am looking at changing the 2 front hub carrier bushes (that fit at bottom with a bolt through on to wishbone) on my Peugeot 497 myself. I am wondering whether anyone has essentially cut/knocked the old ones out with the wheel hub in situ? Then perhaps use a vice or c clamp to stick the new one on. Seems feasible I think. To reinforce my idea an eBay seller of these aftermarket bushes says its possible too. But I would prefer a how to guide or at least some pics of it being done so I don't screw it up.:rolleyes:

Anyone done it this way? Would save a lot of bother of taking off the hub then finding someone with a press.

Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just did it on my car :) Brought the bush on ebay, since Peugeot don`t sell/have them. I guess you can manage get them without removing the hub, but its not easy. I removed the whole hub from the car and used a 10 tonn hydraulic press that I have, the bush let go from the hub with around 2,5t pressure.
So, I guess it all depends on your tools..Under is a pic from the work:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just did it on my car :) Brought the bush on ebay, since Peugeot don`t sell/have them. I guess you can manage get them without removing the hub, but its not easy. I removed the whole hub from the car and used a 10 tonn hydraulic press that I have, the bush let go from the hub with around 2,5t pressure.
So, I guess it all depends on your tools..Under is a pic from the work:)

Hi Keet,

Great work. Did you follow any specific step by step guide? What would you consider to be the difficulty level in doing this? Was the pressure around the same 2.5t putting the new bush in? If so , probably changing the bush with the hub in situ wouldn't be feasible...

Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
43 Posts
I did not follow any specific guide, removal of the hub pretty straight forward:)
The hardest part was actually to reassemble the stabiliser-link, as it holds the shock absorber in place. If you have a little more then average mechanical skills, you would do just fine:) The pressure was the same to put it in, but i guess this can vary from bush to bush. A alternative could be to take the whole hub to a workshop that has a press, and have them to do the press job?

Anyway there are some tools required that can stand out from the standard home garage selection:

- Inverted torx socket to remove the bolt on the upper control-arm and the bolt that runs trough hub carrier bush.
- Torx pipe to remove the brake caliper and brake disc.
- Balljoint tool to release the tie rod end.
- 36mm socket for the driveshaft

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I did not follow any specific guide, removal of the hub pretty straight forward:)
The hardest part was actually to reassemble the stabiliser-link, as it holds the shock absorber in place. If you have a little more then average mechanical skills, you would do just fine:)
I think that's my worry, taking it all apart and not being able to put it back together again :eek: Hopefully someone will do a step by step pictorial guide on how to take it apart, then I'll probably attempt it...

The pressure was the same to put it in, but i guess this can vary from bush to bush. A alternative could be to take the whole hub to a workshop that has a press, and have them to do the press job?
Yes was thinking that, it's just getting the carrier hub on without too much trouble. If only it was relatively easy to have a press fit somehow with the carrier hub in situ, after simply removing the lower wishbone...

Anyway there are some tools required that can stand out from the standard home garage selection:

- Inverted torx socket to remove the bolt on the upper control-arm and the bolt that runs trough hub carrier bush.
- Torx pipe to remove the brake caliper and brake disc.
- Balljoint tool to release the tie rod end.
- 36mm socket for the driveshaft
Thanks for the info':thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts