Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've experienced this issue for a while now and it's getting worse.

When driving slowly over a rough road surface I hear a rather loud clunking sound from somewhere in the front end. It almost sounds like someone banging the underside of the car with a hammer - a metalic knocking sound.

This noise is very common when I'm turning at the same time (as driving slowly over a rough surface).

I noticed that one of the droplinks had some play - so replaced both and this has improved the sound, but only slightly.

The droplink that had failed had lots of play in one of the ball joints. It was actually possible to move the ball joint in and out and hear it click/knock.

My theory (based on the droplink ball joint issue) is that the lower ball joints are suffering from a similar problem.

Is this likely, given the above symptoms?

Or... could control arm bushes or strut top mounts create a similar noise?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You need to get the front of the car off the ground and give the front wheels a good shaking, side to side and top and bottom. Have a look at the anti roll bar bushes as well. If all is good have the wheels a couple of inches off the ground and lever them up and down listening for knocking in the suspension top mounts.

Roger.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Also check the rear engine mount. I've been chasing bumps and knocks for ages, the cobbles that I need to go over really gave the suspension and mounts a hammering. Everything I did improved the situation and things where worn.....essesntially, everything is less than 3 years old on the front of the car.....which left the engine mounts. The mounts really improved the situation.

For me, the ARB bushes always sounded like it was under my feet or passengers feet when driving. The rear mount sounded more like a hammering behing the radio/dash.

ARB bushes are very cheap and easy to do and if they haven't been done up until now, it may be worth doing. If you can move the engine easily when pushing on the sump, I'd be inclined to change the rear mount

·
5,628 Posts
I would also double check bottom ball joints with wheels on the ground as i had a similar issue on my old 307 and with it jacked up ball joints felt fine but on the ground there was slight play in one

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to get the front of the car off the ground and give the front wheels a good shaking, side to side and top and bottom. Have a look at the anti roll bar bushes as well. If all is good have the wheels a couple of inches off the ground and lever them up and down listening for knocking in the suspension top mounts.

Roger.
Thanks for the reply Roger. I've been shaking everything at the front and all I seem to get is a little play in the steering. The steering wheel moves when I experience the play - so I presume that's ok.

I'm using poly bushes on the ARB and the whole this is solid.

I've tried the lever trick under the wheel, but only to check for lower ball join play - not strut mount issues. I'll re-test and report back.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also check the rear engine mount. I've been chasing bumps and knocks for ages, the cobbles that I need to go over really gave the suspension and mounts a hammering. Everything I did improved the situation and things where worn.....essesntially, everything is less than 3 years old on the front of the car.....which left the engine mounts. The mounts really improved the situation.

For me, the ARB bushes always sounded like it was under my feet or passengers feet when driving. The rear mount sounded more like a hammering behing the radio/dash.

ARB bushes are very cheap and easy to do and if they haven't been done up until now, it may be worth doing. If you can move the engine easily when pushing on the sump, I'd be inclined to change the rear mount
The rear/lower engine mount has already been replaced with a poly one. I should probably test the left and right mounts, but will need to take a few things apart to inspect these.

ARB bushes are poly too.

I would also double check bottom ball joints with wheels on the ground as i had a similar issue on my old 307 and with it jacked up ball joints felt fine but on the ground there was slight play in one
How should I test this? There's not much to lever against with a bar. (presuming I need to try and pull the ball joint down from the hub).

·
5,628 Posts
use a small bar or crow bar between lower arm and hub and see if you get any movement

·
Registered
718 Posts
You could also maybe try a long bar/punch bar type thing slid in from the front over the lower arm until you can pivot it against something solid (box section on floor pan or subframe and then if you need to get a helper to push up and down on the bar and that should show any movement in the balljoint.
you could try it whilst the weight of the car is still on its wheels,up on ramps if you need more space and also with the weight of the wheels

Terry

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies and advice everyone.

I was using a crowbar to try and test for play with the car jacked up and also on the ground, but the balljoin wouldn't budge!

Over the last few weeks I noticed that when shaking the steering wheel from side to side (car stationary) I would hear a loud clunk and feel a vibration from the driver's footwell.

Then I looked at the balljoint while doing this and saw it move from side to side.

New balljoints have been installed and the car it quiet once again! :thumb:

Strange that the balljoint only showed signs of play with the full weight of the car on it AND when turning the wheel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts