Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this problem ever since I've got the car, when I first start off in the morning, I drive down hill to the main road to go to work. I normally coast down the road and there are a few speed bumps on the way down. As I approach the bumps, I naturally apply the brakes. The first couple of times I apply the brakes, it feels as though the brakes aren't engaging completely, but the pedal doesn't feel spongy. Sometimes, if I've picked up a little bit too much speed before a bump and apply more pressure, I get the same "not engaging" feeling as above, but then it feels as though the pads suddenly grab the disc, the car rapidly slows and you can hear the contact on the discs.

I've replaced the discs and pads, the car had a service with a brake fluid change, and the above scenario happened pre- and post-service.

It only happens once first thing on a morning.

Once it's done all this, the brakes are great and really responsive - I could stop on a sixpence.

I've ruled out the pedal.

The callipers are old, but they work ok and if it were a calliper issue, would it not happen every time I hit the brakes? Which leaves the servo I guess?

PP only picks up an ABS fault on the rear offside (which I haven't had chance to sort....).

Any thoughts on what's going on? It's thrown me a little.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They're Eicher, not the most popular brand name, but they've been superb. I can't fault their performance. Of course, I could be mistaken.

Thinking about when it happens, it kind of feels like a pad is misaligned - as though the mating faces aren't parallel and when extra pressure is applied, the pad almost snaps or slips into place.

I had a bit of trouble with the guide pins and the clips securing the pad - I might give a fresh set a go and see what that does.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
the brake servo runs from vacuum so coasting probably doesnt help

id rebleed the brakes to make sure there fine. i would also check the vacuum to the servo

·
5,633 Posts
If it's a HDI try a squirt of light oil into vac pump. the non return valve can get sticky especially when cold which reduces vac to servo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts