Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my tyres changed a few days ago and while the garage done this they informed me my front brake discs are now at the Peugeot recommended of being replaced, I can't remember though what amount of millimeters he said they had left on them.

My car has only done a little under 40,000 miles, so was wondering if it sounds about right?

And how much would you generally expect to pay for replacing the two front discs/pads?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Robins & Day/Peugeot price is £199 inc vat fitted for Peugeot approved parts or £279 for Peugeot parts, both are guaranteed by Peugeot though,

No two cars are the same for brake wear as some may spend there time on motorways racking up the miles without using the brakes much, others are round town and county roads braking for roundabouts and junctions etc.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Robins & Day/Peugeot price is £199 inc vat fitted for Peugeot approved parts or £279 for Peugeot parts, both are guaranteed by Peugeot though,

No two cars are the same for brake wear as some may spend there time on motorways racking up the miles without using the brakes much, others are round town and county roads braking for roundabouts and junctions etc.
I got quoted £260 which I thought was a little high for a non-Peugeot garage, but I've never had to have new brakes on a car so wasn't sure to be honest.

I appreciate depending on the driver in general all cars will vary with brakes, but wondered if it seemed about 'average' for a car.
I'd say most my driving has been 50/50 in regards to town and longer/motorway driving since owning the car at 18,000 miles.

He said it was at the 'Peugeot recommended time for change' so how serious is that compared with any regards for safety? I ask as would prefer to get this done later in the year rather than have to do it now (before MOT/service next month).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just had new pads fitted at 40K miles on my 308 GTI 2015 plate - it was £35 for pads and £30 for labour - at an independent garage. If you google discs they're around £60 each so £199 for new discs and pads doesn't seem too unreasonable. Surprised you need discs though, my mechanic only recommended pads were needed.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The minimum thickness measurement is normally cast in to the disc around the hub area - you could remove the wheels & measure the discs.

Either stay with genuine Peugeot parts or use Brembo or Ferodo.

Obviously the pads needs to be replaced along with the discs & you have to replace the parts in axle sets.

New brakes also need to be bedded in for a few hundred miles - the brake pedal will feel a little softer under foot until bedded in.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It really does come down to how heavy yer right foot is.. Ive been driving for 40yrs now and had my fair share of performance cars and used some..enthusiastic breaking..and had no better results generally from a decent aftermarket part either on stopping distance or brake fade. Your pads/shoes are only as good as the rest of the system. You can put racing Brembo on and your cheap fluid will still boil etc. Just for example.. my front pads are still healthy after 80k and I live in the welsh valleys and spend 40% of my time breaking on declines..

·
Registered
888 Posts
Ugh, quite expensive, huh? Why discs? They are so worn? A few month ago, replacing front pads on my car for aprox. £150.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Pads are quite easy to replace. The only real difficulty is winding the pistons back in. IIRC at that point it's very easy to then replace the discs - although you should slacken off the disc retaining screws earlier while the someone holds the footbrake down.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Are these front discs so different to earlier models?

Bought a set of front pads for £30 ish recently in an ECP sale. Not fitted yet.

Pair of discs currently £62.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
I would say 40k miles is actually pretty good for a set of pads but i really doubt you need discs too.

We got about 20k miles out pads on the taxis and done discs every 3rd set of pads

·
Registered
54 Posts
Rang the dealer to check the price and apparently it was a 'mistake'...

Can get them done for £199 using Peugeot approved parts. The parts alone from Euro Car parts would cost around £160 so for the sake of £40 it doesn't really make any sense to them myself.

Car due for a service next month so will get them done at the same time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just had Peugeot dealer do free check over

308 sw 1.2 130 GTline 2017 15,000 miles

Front pads 8mm ,manufactures recommend minimum 6mm

Back pads 8mm ,manufactures recommend ,minimum 6mm

Car has been mainly used for town driving. Just bought the car.

The tyres 3.5 mm front 225/40r18 rear 4.7 mm .Tyre wear seems to be high on the front

Also they recommended oil top up but I checked and it did not need it !

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree the front tyres will always wear faster on a front wheel drive car. Having driven mainly front wheel drive cars but I would expect near 30,000 before they reached 2 mm. The tyres are Michelin 225/40r18 . They are also show problems of a common problem of cracking along the tread at the bottom of the treat.
Tyres are dated as 2016 so three year old tyres with cracking. Not an MOT failure unless they get a lot worse.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m thinking of changing front discs and pads myself. But a little confused which to buy. Eurocar parts recommends two slightly different sizes. For example two popular options.
Brembo 26,0 thickness. 293 diameter and then a slightly cheaper 22,0 with 266 diameter option.
How do I know which fits my 2006 307 1.6 hdi ?
And do I need specific pads for each option?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts