Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now then!

Took me a couple hours (With limited toolage) but got 4 footwell lights wired in!

I had:

[/LIST]ratchet screwdriver with removable bits (For the torxes)
Razor Blade
Terminal Screwdriver
Rusty Snips
Cellotape
4 x CrazyLED's footwell strips (In red)
6 Core Wire (you only need two core, it's all I had)
4 x terminal blocks (2 blocks of 2)

Now if I can do it, with the crap mentioned above, I'm sure you all can easy.

So if anybody else wants to try it, do as follows:

open the ashtray and turn on your sidelights, make sure the ashtray light works!!! If it does, turn sidelights off, and follow:

remove ash tray (open it and press down plastic flap at the top, pull out)
remove cubby bed plastic (it's loose anyway)
remove 2 x torx screws from behind ashtray
remove cubby holder (be careful of ashtray light)
gently prize gear gaiter plastic clip from dash trim
gently remove dash trim.

Now I did this:

Snipped the two wires to ashtray bulb about 1.5 inches from bulb holder
cut the sheath and exposed the copper on all 4 ends.
(make sure you twist the copper strands together)
fix the two source wires into 2 terminal blocks. Ensure this doesn't close the circuit.

Now stick the two front footwell lights where you want them (the adhesive back didn't work for me, even after cleaning all surfaces, so I added double sided sticky tape)

when you've stuck them securely, feed them into the centre where you've just fixed the terminal block, but feed them through the dash trim so there's very little wire showing (You'll find you can pull the trim enough to let the wires through).

make sure enough copper is exposed on all 4 wires (a positive and a negative for each LED strip).

I then got my 6 core wire (2 core in your case) and cut a decent enough length (say 1m). I then fed it under the passenger side of the centre console, and to where the ashtray business is. The other end goes into the rear of the car, just where the rear ash tray is.

I then tucked the cable under the centre console.

Sheath the cable and expose only the necessary wires. Then get the ashtray bulb in it's holder with 1.5inches of wires, and take the insulation off the end, exposing copper.

You now have a positive and a negative for; 2 x LED strips, 1 x 2 core cable, 1 x ashtray bulb

twist all positives together, and twist all negatives together (do this properly 1st time. double check!!)

then place them into the corresponding terminals in the terminal blocks. Screw tight, but not too tight!

try the sidelights, you should get 2 x LED strips and the ashtray bulb light up.

If not, get fault-finding!!

Now go sit in the back. - clean up that end so your two wires are showing, with the copper exposed. Fix the 2 cores into two terminal blocks (again ensure the circuit remains open).

Stick your footwell strips where you wish, and feed the cable under the centre console and round to the terminal block (allow slack near the seat for when you slide forward and back, and even if you never adjust your seat, garages do, the gits).

Cut down any excess wire (not too much or you'll be buying another strip :lol:)

twist the two positives together and the two negatives together (of the LED strips) and then place in terminal block and tighten!

Tada! try the sidelights. You should have 4 x LED strips and one ashtray bulb light up.

Now put everything back, fasten the torx screws, etc. etc. get a plastic bag and bin the crap. Then hoover (I got random stuff everywhere!!)

I hope this helped guys!!

Oh yeah - I'd like to thank John for the heads up that I was wiring into the ashtray light!!! Cheers mate!!

EDIT: Pics attached - The best I can do really. enough light for the camera means the LED's wont show up, so I had to do it with me dad's SLR camera (or whatever it's called) and take the flash off.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
good guide mate, but what you may find is that if you stick the led strips to the bottom of the seats for the rear or the carpet in passenger they start to peel off so what i did is, i stitched them in, do not use super glue as it makes the strips brittle and snaps. I just dne this in my foci, had to install a switch in glove

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nelix said:
Any pics would be great to see this.
Now mate, I've attached them to the original post just now for you.

The pics don't really do it justice, because you'd need a lot of light so the camera doesn't go blurry, but that also means blotting out the LED strips. It's one of those things you gotta see for yourself :D

A nice touch like, I quite like it.

John, I'll see how the strips go, might have to stitch as you say. I applied a tiny bit of non-solvent glue to the drivers side (because the self adhesive back did bot all on the smooth plastic)

So let's just see how long it takes for the sticky to come off the fabric/carpet

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
JazzJPH said:
Doesn't look like a peugeot :rolleyes:

hahaha thats coz its not :p i like to show people what can be done to their car, if they take time and have the patience. especially when i am told it cannot be done. i pretend its a peugeot tho, think i may take the (ford) badges off and put my old 307 badge on.:thumb: :lol:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hahahaha mint!

Have you stitched those in the focus then?

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Nah didnt need to, on the focus there is a metal strip along the front and underneath the seats is a metal pan thing, no idea what they are tho lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts