Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

We recently became the owners of a peugeot 307, the day we got it, it had just been MOT'd, serviced and had a cambelt change.

Shortly after taking it home, we noticed the red oil pressure light was flashing on for a second or so with the STOP sign, when we were slowing down or turning corners. We took it back to the dealership whom said they were sure it was the oil pressure switch, as they could see oil coming out of it.

Had it there today, had a new switch put in, they said there was a fair amount of oil that was seeping out the old one. They said that the light may still come on for half hour or so while the oil works it way through.

Started driving it home, every time I came to a stop, the oil light came on with stop, and remained on, with the car beeping constantly. It did not do this before. In the 45 minutes I drove it back, it must of come on well over a hundred times, it was constant. :mad: driving me insane!

How long should I leave it and drive it to give the oil chance to get through the new switch before ringing the dealership back, and should it of got worse with a new switch? I dont want to be impatient.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
That sounds like my namesake , bring it back , also find out if it was a genuine Peugeot oil filter used in service , after market ones are crap.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Namesake? what, i'm confused!

I add - took it out for a spin, no oil light, as soon as car warmed up, its back, everytime I stop / do a sharp turn. Could a faulty filter cause this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have now distinguished that it only happens once its been driven around for a good 20 mins, and once i suppass that 20 mins, it is on, at every stop, every turn, and almost always everytime I brake.

It wasn't like this before the switch got changed, it just came on for about half a second when we broke hard and did a sharp turn, now since they fiddled with the switch it comes on everytime the car is at idle, and stays on, and it comes up on the multifunction screen with 'oil pressure insufficent'. Once you touch the revs, it goes away. Does this sound like a connection problem, since it got worse since they touched the oil pressure switch? I have a sickly feeling that its more complicated then that though, as its happening now when the oil appears to be warm.

S

·
0 Posts
Could it be wrong oil?

Only occurs when oil is warmed up and flowing around a bit more?

Or maybe the pump isnt doing something it should be

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe all of the above has been done and still no solution :nono: its been in the garage for 2 days now and they can't find what the problem is. The last time I spoke to them they were going to investigate further at the wires as it might be a wiring issue. I would agree if the oil light flickered randomly, but it religiously does not come on for the first 30 minutes of a drive, so whatever the issue 'is' becomes an issue when the oil is hot. Surely if it was a dodgy wire it would come on when the oil is hot or cold?

This is impossible.

D

·
0 Posts
Hello

We recently became the owners of a peugeot 307, the day we got it, it had just been MOT'd, serviced and had a cambelt change.

Shortly after taking it home, we noticed the red oil pressure light was flashing on for a second or so with the STOP sign, when we were slowing down or turning corners. We took it back to the dealership whom said they were sure it was the oil pressure switch, as they could see oil coming out of it.

Had it there today, had a new switch put in, they said there was a fair amount of oil that was seeping out the old one. They said that the light may still come on for half hour or so while the oil works it way through.

Started driving it home, every time I came to a stop, the oil light came on with stop, and remained on, with the car beeping constantly. It did not do this before. In the 45 minutes I drove it back, it must of come on well over a hundred times, it was constant. :mad: driving me insane!

How long should I leave it and drive it to give the oil chance to get through the new switch before ringing the dealership back, and should it of got worse with a new switch? I dont want to be impatient.

Thanks
Don't believe this crap. It'll not be the switch. Take the oil filter out and check to see if the little X shape is not broken off the middle of the filter.
This is based on it being a petrol. But you don't state what fuel it is!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry it is a petrol, 1.4, around 55k miles. Could it be a wiring issue even though it only occurs when the oil is hot. I think its occuring at low rpm, so when slowing down drastically, idling and turning corners (I never got out the habit of coasting around corners, so rpm is low when I do).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update, as I know there are many threads about this and im sure there will be many others searching for a solution to this problem.

Sadly for us, the garage eliminated the most common problems of sensor, oil filter, wrong oil, and then went on to do an oil pump change. However, they found that there has been a lot of undeclared work done to the engine and it wasn't in a condition where they were willing to give us the car back. Luckily we've been offered a different one so ok outcome for us as the problem occured under warranty.

Hopefully to those who may in future read this with this problem, it isn't the case for you!

Thanks for all advice given, I will however be moving over to the Ford forum and hope for a better engine!

All the best :)

D

·
0 Posts
Thanks for all advice given, I will however be moving over to the Ford forum and hope for a better engine!

All the best :)

Ford engine and better don't come in the same sentence a whole lot. :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts