Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the cheapest way to get a Flick / Flip key for my 2003 307 Rapier?

I have 2 of the 2 buttoned standard keys that are ugly and uncomfy in my trouser pocket. I would like a flick / flip key. I've seen them on eBay but it appears you have to have them cut and then somehow added to your car, but there's no mention on how.

Does anyone know the cheapest way to get such a key for my car please?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm quite lucky as it appears there are several people close enough to me with Peugeot Planet on the list in your signature.

I presume these are individuals and not official dealerships? Hopefully in that case the cost of such an exercise won't be excessive?

While on this subject one of the eBay sellers that I've recently contacted has suggested a slightly different approach that I'd appreciate your opinion on if you don't mind.

They have suggested that I buy their flip key, have the blade cut to match my key and then remove the remote and transponder chip from my existing non-flip key to the flip key they sell me. They state this is a very simple process to carry out and that it will work straight away.

The above appears overly simple to me, do you think this will actually work?

They also stated that if I didn't fancy doing this myself I could send them one of my keys and they'd convert it to a flip key for me although I'm weary of doing this as I'd essentially be sending the key to my car to a stranger who would also know my home address......

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had another read at the advert and seen the same products on other websites too. Now it makes sense.

The product is slightly different to a normal key, it's a conversion kit. Basically it's a shell that has the same button layout as the non-flip key with the buttons being round and slightly off set to each other rather than squareish and next to each other on a genuine flip key.

You open the current key and remove the innards. You then place these in the shell you got online and then get the blade cut to match.

The shell costs around £16. Not sure how much a cutting service would be for a lock smith to replicate my blade? This would seem to be the cheaper option though?

Do you have any experience of this? Is it worth doing? I have two of the non-flip keys, I'd be tempted to convert one to flip if and leave the other as a spare if this worked without any problems or issues.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
does the keyblade transfer over too or will the new keyblade have to be cut somewhere? if so where?

thanks for alerting me to this, i used to love my 407 key its a lot smarter than the crappy 307 key i might just try and sort one out :D

Daz

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've just ordered one of these from Ebay Peugeot 2 Button Flip key CONVERSION 307 2001> on eBay (end time 01-Jul-11 19:41:51 BST)

It's similar to the keys mentioned by others earlier in the thread except it's not a standard replacement shell. It's actually a conversion shell for people with the horrible non-flick keys such as me.

Apparently it's cuts inside to be the same as the key I currently have. It also has the external buttons in the same layout unlike the proper flick key.

Mine should be here in the next day or two so I'll report back later on the success or failure. Hopefully I won't have to buy a replacement spare key when I try to convert mine in to a flip :D

As far as I can see I pop open my current key, slide out the internals and slide it in to the new case. Take the key to a locksmith and get the key cut to match my own key and it's done.

Just hoping there's no soldering etc. involved and that it's as easy as they say on the advert :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Delivery's certainly not good, I'm currently going through a Paypal dispute because the money's been taken but nothing's been received. Worse still the seller hasn't replied to any of my messages since I paid for the item and so far they've also failed to respond to Paypal too :(

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Success!

The key conversion case finally arrived. Despite me paying extra on the postage it was posted on the 28th! :mad:

Anyway, it's here now.

First thing was a quick visit to the local locksmiths. They laser cut the blank blade to match my existing key.

The next step is easy, but you'll need a T9 torque driver (star shaped and tiny). Open the old key with the driver and a penny. Open the new key case, with a penny. Then carefully remove the circuit board from the old key (it's clipped in only, no soldering etc.) and place it in the holder in the new key case.

Once you've got the circuit board in make sure you also look in the top corner of the old key. You'll see the tiny immobiliser chip. I missed this initially and the car refused to start. Simply pop this out, CAREFULLY, so as not to damage it and slot it in the new key case in the little cavity for it.

Pop the key case back together and as long as you've not disconnect the PLIPs battery, which you don't need to do so for this, it will work straight away.

I now have a working flick key / PLIP for my 307! :lol:

I took a photo but it appears to have corrupted. I'll upload once that's retaken.

The one thing I will say is that the quality of this replacement case isn't the same as a genuine OEM Peugeot key. It feels slightly lighter and a little thinner on the plastic side. But it does the job and doesn't feel tacky or cheap.

This is certainly a quick, easy and cheap way to get a flick key for your 307 if it didn't come with one originally.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The key conversion case finally arrived. Despite me paying extra on the postage it was posted on the 28th! :mad:

Anyway, it's here now.

First thing was a quick visit to the local locksmiths. They laser cut the blank blade to match my existing key.

The next step is easy, but you'll need a T9 torque driver (star shaped and tiny). Open the old key with the driver and a penny. Open the new key case, with a penny. Then carefully remove the circuit board from the old key (it's clipped in only, no soldering etc.) and place it in the holder in the new key case.

Once you've got the circuit board in make sure you also look in the top corner of the old key. You'll see the tiny immobiliser chip. I missed this initially and the car refused to start. Simply pop this out, CAREFULLY, so as not to damage it and slot it in the new key case in the little cavity for it.

Pop the key case back together and as long as you've not disconnect the PLIPs battery, which you don't need to do so for this, it will work straight away.

I now have a working flick key / PLIP for my 307! :lol:

I took a photo but it appears to have corrupted. I'll upload once that's retaken.

The one thing I will say is that the quality of this replacement case isn't the same as a genuine OEM Peugeot key. It feels slightly lighter and a little thinner on the plastic side. But it does the job and doesn't feel tacky or cheap.

This is certainly a quick, easy and cheap way to get a flick key for your 307 if it didn't come with one originally.
So how much was the key again....also how much did the locksmith charge to cut your blade....What was the overall cost of this....:thumb:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Key - £15
Locksmith - £15

Total cost £30

You should be able to get a key cut cheaper. The place I used is notorious locally for being expensive. Timpsons for example are £10 for the same service but they had no car key cutter for a week as he was on holiday.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Image fixed.
(click to enlarge)

Remove T9 screw from original key.
Remove circuit board, it just pops out.
Remove immobiliser chip (yellow highlight on photo) or car won't start.

Use a penny to pop new key open.
Slot in circuit board (only goes in one way).
Slot in immobiliser chip.

Done

And here's what it looks like

Several days on and I'm very happy with the purchase. It was certainly worth the £30 and 5 minutes putting it together. The old chunky key was a pain in my pocket and looked old. This new key is nice and small in the pocket and looks a lot better too.

Hope this is of help to people interested. The eBay seller has got in touch with me because I left neutral feedback as a result of their late delivery and failure to respond to my messages and even the Paypal dispute, suggesting an error with the postal system and asking me to remove the feedback. I won't be doing so because the feedback is also for the lack of response when I was trying to find where my purchase was. Sadly this appears to be the only supplier on eBay at the time of writing this that was selling these keys BUT it does look like I was just one of the unlucky few. Most people leave positive feedback, there's only a small number of us that's had a problem with the seller. So take your chance and report back.

Upgrade very much recommended

1 - 18 of 18 Posts