Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had to jump start my 407SW (1.6 Hid) after a short stop (>30 min.). I'd not had any sign at all prior to this and the car had started fine after sitting all day in the shade, yet after a ten minute drive from work and stopping to do some shopping, the starter motor just couldn't turn the engine over fast enough and I had to call for help. After the jump start and leaving it for a few minutes, starting hasn't been a problem, although I'm now switching on only what I need to give the battery the best chance of recharging fully.

I didn't check to see if I'd left anything on (which would explain the situation) because I didn't think it was possible to do this, but maybe I'm mistaken. Is it possible to leave anything on that would cause this? I had been using the rear screen demister, lights, wipers and fan (not AC), but surely these are all killed when the ignition is off?

I'd have recharged the battery by now, only I've been told that I'll have to disconnect the battery to avoid potential damage (to the ECU, I guess?). I didn't believe this until I read it in the manual, but it's true! This makes a very straightforward job much more problematic. It's not a problem undoing the terminal, but I'm worried that the stereo will need a security code entering after disconnection of the battery and can't find this anywhere. The manual makes no mention of this but does detail a procedure for allowing the ECU to reboot and another rather complex procedure for 'reinitialising' the electric windows and sunroof! It just beggars belief the things the designers of these systems think are acceptable to the average car owner.

Is there no code for the stereo that I need to worry about?

There are now some very sophisticated chargers available - Switched mode types with the ability to intelligently charge the battery at a range of rates, switch off or fall-back to a trickle when fully charged and avoid any damage to the battery caused by the charging process. Surely it's safe to use one of these without disconnecting the battery?

I don't have any reason to suspect the charging as the battery light hadn't been on (except during ignition), but my normal use of the car is for daily trips to work and back (<5 miles each way). I suspect the battery is simply on it's way out, but I'm just really surprised that it's been OK since the jump start. The weather had been bitterly cold for a couple of weeks and I hadn't exercised and restraint with what I switched on before this happened, so could it just be the result of this combination?

Millivan.

·
Registered
184 Posts
No you really don't want to run a battery charger on it in situ.

As long as everything is shut down properly before removing the battery you won't have any issues.

You will not need a stereo code.
To remove it, just make sure you leave your doors unlocked and shut the doors and wait for the light to go out inside before removing as people say you can have troubles waking up the BSI if anything was on prior to removal.
Because of the scare stories about BSI, I tend to leave it like this with no electrics or door/bonnet sensors activating for about 2 mins, and then remove the terminals.

The battery could have indeed caused this. Have you noticed any smell of eggs lately? This normally means the battery is leaking and burning out.
You could have a dead cell, best bet to test the battery is to take it to a garage that does batteries, they'll tell you in minutes.

In fact since you say since it happened it has been relatively ok, I'd say prime suspect would be battery

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Roy.

I'll charge the battery now I know the score. Thanks for the tips.

I'll check the electrolyte level, too before taking it to a battery dealer for a load test.

BTW, as I'm not actually removing the battery, I only need to disconnect one terminal. I've heard people say it's best to disconnect the ground rather than the +ve, but I can't figure out why.

Also, what's a the BSI?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Millivan said:
Thanks, Roy.

I'll charge the battery now I know the score. Thanks for the tips.

I'll check the electrolyte level, too before taking it to a battery dealer for a load test.

BTW, as I'm not actually removing the battery, I only need to disconnect one terminal. I've heard people say it's best to disconnect the ground rather than the +ve, but I can't figure out why.

Also, what's a the BSI?
The BSI unit is basically a computer which handles a multitude of functions such as odometer value, central locking, lights and immobiliser. Some later Bsi units are liable to corrupt their own software program if not “woken up” in a specific way after programming keys or battery disconnection.

Click Here for BSI initiallising step by step process

and see post number 10 :thumb:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

Any idea what BSI stands for? Obviously not the British Standards Institute in this case.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New battery fitted, but I didn't get any feedback on the question of whether it's possible to leave anything on without it being obvious or a warning sounding. I know it's possible to leave the lights on if you explicitly change from 'auto', but a warning sounds when the ignition's switched off.

It's also possible to turn the radio or internal lights on, but I'd have noticed this.

Is there anything else? Rear screen demister, perhaps?

Millivan.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Millivan said:
New battery fitted, but I didn't get any feedback on the question of whether it's possible to leave anything on without it being obvious or a warning sounding. I know it's possible to leave the lights on if you explicitly change from 'auto', but a warning sounds when the ignition's switched off.

It's also possible to turn the radio or internal lights on, but I'd have noticed this.

Millivan.
It should not be possible to leave anything on without realising really, in fact I can't think of anything that will operate like that.
In fact too, if it was draining then the car would have put itself in economy mode well before it was discharged leaving enough juice to get the car started so basically no that didn't happen.

If the garage actually told you you needed a new battery then it was the batteries fault and not anything you did. Most probably just a dead cell, it happens. Now that the battery has been changed you shouldn't see that fault reoccur pretty much ever unless it randomly dies again

·
Registered
184 Posts
Millivan said:

Millivan.
It should not be possible to leave anything on without realising really, in fact I can't think of anything that will operate like that.
In fact too, if it was draining then the car would have put itself in economy mode well before it was discharged leaving enough juice to get the car started so basically no that didn't happen.

If the garage actually told you you needed a new battery then it was the batteries fault and not anything you did. Most probably just a dead cell, it happens. Now that the battery has been changed you shouldn't see that fault reoccur pretty much ever unless it randomly dies again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Befro my bettery gave up i had lots of electrical faults on it and systems started to shut down , i had air bag fault key faults and so on then new battery and tada all was well, was recommended not to try to jump start her due to possible electronic damage

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.