Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would put up my observations & plans for getting a spare wheel for comment.

I have recently acquired a 2013 model 5008 fitted with 215/45 R18 tyres on alloys and which came without a spare wheel. I am not keen on depending on the 'goo' injection kit for punctures which came with it.

My research showed that 5008's earlier than model year 2012 all come with a spare wheel slung under the car in the boot area. 2012 & 2013 seemed to be a transition period where some came supplied with a spare and some didn't, but all of them still had a full shaped space under the body shell to hang a spare wheel. It is possible to fit a full size wheel and tyre under there (as someone on another thread noted - because he managed to hang his punctured tyre/wheel in that space) although I suspect a full width 215 or 225mm tyre will probably project about an inch or a half inch below the lowest level of the exhaust box, thereby reducing your ground clearance slightly. On the other hand, all 2014 models appear to have had the floorpan reshaped slightly to accomodate the Eolys fluid reservoir and they no longer have the right shape to fit a spare wheel underneath.

I have debated whether to get a (Peugeot) spacesaver steel rim [ 3.5J x 16 ET10] or a 'full size' steel rim [ 7J x 16 ET29] at £57 or £77 respectively. Alloys (at £250+) I consider a waste of money as a spare and they would actually protrude a bit more in the available space. Because it is very difficult to get tyres in the spacesaver rim size and also because the spacesaver size tyre would place severe limitations in its temporary use whilst travelling or whilst on holiday in an awkward location, I am opting to go for the 7J x 16 wheel.

A suitable tyre to go on the 16" rim would be 205/60 R16. This gives a theoretical overall static diameter just 1mm (or 0.15%) larger than my existing 215/45 R18 tyre/wheel combination. As the static diameter difference between a new tyre and one with a worn tread can be as much as 10mm, this wheel/tyre will essentially have the same rolling radius as any of my current wheels. ABS & speedo will therefore not be affected. There is plenty of choice in this popular tyre size, and if I choose one with a higher load rating (stiffer sidewalls), it should hopefully help to compensate/reduce any increased understeer characteristic (due to its higher profile) compared to the other side if I ever had to temporarily fit it in place of one of the front wheels. I could also raise its pressure slightly. Camskill Tyres can supply a 205/60 R16 96V XL of a reputable make for about £50-60 so it should all cost me about £150 for the spare. Current tyre load rating = 93.

Initially I will keep this in the boot but the next step before I go on any long holidays (and need all the space I can create) will be to get the undercar wheel carrier set up. Peugeot list an undercar winch & cable kit (part no. T87F 776A01A ) and whilst I think it is all meant to be screwed on outside under the boot floor, I think there was a poster elsewhere on this forum who said he just threaded the cable through the preformed hole in the boot floor which was meant to take the central winch stem from the outside. This allowed him to keep the 'winch box' inside the boot which seems eminently sensible to keep the weather corroding it. I would love to hear from him as to how he did it, because as far as I can see the 'wheel hook + mount' is far too big to get through the preformed hole (which is presently stoppered with a plastic plug). The winch kit incidentally costs about £116.

Any comments/suggestions?

Wheelcarrier winch:

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Perhaps I should also add the reasons why I am not keen on the "goo injection" kit for punctures (!) :--

1/ It is unlikely to work for large punctures or sidewall damage.

2/ The goo is likely to damage the tyre and render an otherwise repairable tyre unusable.

3/ The goo is also likely to damage the tyre pressure monitor attached to the valve, and these alone cost over £70 each to replace!

All drivers should campaign and continue to complain & pressurise manufacturers to continue supplying a spare wheel! (Even if it is only a spacesaver - it will at least get you to the tyre shop.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm also looking to fit a spare wheel to my 5008,could you tell me where can you get the winch kit for £116 please,the cheapest I've found one is £128 on eBay and also has anyone fitted one of these kits?if so,are they easy enough to fit?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The £116 winch kit is from a Peugeot main dealer. Doesn't seem worthwhile getting a dodgy(?) one off eBay at that price!

If your car is already set up to take the winch, it will have threaded bolts sticking out underneath from the floorpan in the right places - at least mine seems to have. Let us all know how you get on!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cheers,I popped in my local Peugeot dealership a couple of weeks ago and the parts guy said they have to order all the bits and pieces seperatley and comes to about £400,I presume that included the space saver wheel

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers,I popped in my local Peugeot dealership a couple of weeks ago and the parts guy said they have to order all the bits and pieces seperatley and comes to about £400,I presume that included the space saver wheel
I suggest you find yourself another Peugeot dealership! They seem to be overcharging you by about 25%.

Some other threads have reported this also in respect of scheduled Services - one dealership can be charging up to 50% more than another for what is ostensibly the same job. I calculate the parts are not going to cost me more than £250 or so excluding the jack & wheel brace - and I can probably pick those up at a breakers yard for a tenner. Are they fitting the winch for you as well for that price?

·
Registered
19 Posts
No,that wasn't with fitting,just parts,tbf to the guy he said I would be better off searching breakers yards with such a rediculas price,the dealership was Arbury,but I will definitely get some more prices,I really hate the thought of going on a few hols next year without a spare

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you get your wheel from a breaker's yard just be sure it has the right offset value - the ET above - (or within tolerance limits) as the Brk yard won't have a clue. I believe across the Peugeot range the different 16", 17" wheels had different offsets.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interested to hear about this as I'd definitely consider doing the same.

Had to get two wheel straightened already due to kerb bumping so having a proper spare is well worth considering.

Thought in a year's ownership, that's my worst complaint.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ive finally got around to fitting a spacesaver & winch kit today,really easy to fit,only need to fix kit on with 4 nuts provided onto pre fixed threads underneath car,takes about 10 minutes.I managed to get a spacesaver off eBay for £50,but pretty difficult to get the correct 16'' wheel and the winch kit (9803750680) also off eBay from a Peugeot dealer for £128.Personally I feel a lot happier knowing I've got a spare,just need to get a scissor jack now.Most of you guys probably know,but the Citroen c4 Picasso has the same chassis so the wheel and winch kit are the same parts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wheel storage

As members will know from my earlier posts on this thread, I have got myself a full-size steel spare wheel for my 5008. I thought I would share my interim solution for carrying this wheel around on my summer holidays.

It is just marginally on the large side (tyre width wise) to sling under the car with the Peugeot kit and I haven't done so as yet; but if you stand it up in the boot and lash it to one of the sides of the car with bungee straps, it doesn't really take up too much space. I use a strong X-cross 'spider' bungee set and hook the clips onto the rear seat belt anchorage plus the three built-in floor & side anchorage points. And if you face the concave 'bowl' of the wheel into the car you can still use that as storage space for small items!

Hope this is useful to someone.

WR

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spare wheel size

May be a bit late, I have purchased a space saver spare from ebay, the wheel is 16" 3.5J ET10 and the Tyre is 135/90 R16, if you run the conversion size only about 4mm difference on the circumstance. I tried a 16" wheel with a 205 Tyre but it hung down a bit low and didn't look good from the back.
Winch kit was from SG Petch £108

Hope this helps

·
Registered
15 Posts
As members will know from my earlier posts on this thread, I have got myself a full-size steel spare wheel for my 5008. I thought I would share my interim solution for carrying this wheel around on my summer holidays.

It is just marginally on the large side (tyre width wise) to sling under the car with the Peugeot kit and I haven't done so as yet; but if you stand it up in the boot and lash it to one of the sides of the car with bungee straps, it doesn't really take up too much space. I use a strong X-cross 'spider' bungee set and hook the clips onto the rear seat belt anchorage plus the three built-in floor & side anchorage points. And if you face the concave 'bowl' of the wheel into the car you can still use that as storage space for small items!

Hope this is useful to someone.

WR
Sorry, If I did got you right, the spare wheel is on the boot, not under the car right?.
In Argentina we still receive the car with the space saver tyre and 16'' alloys standard.
I Was looking to get a 16' allow to fit under the car but I'm not sure the winch will hold the weight for a 1200km+ trip. Are there any specs to read for it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ive finally got around to fitting a spacesaver & winch kit today,really easy to fit,only need to fix kit on with 4 nuts provided onto pre fixed threads underneath car,takes about 10 minutes.I managed to get a spacesaver off eBay for £50,but pretty difficult to get the correct 16'' wheel and the winch kit (9803750680) also off eBay from a Peugeot dealer for £128.Personally I feel a lot happier knowing I've got a spare,just need to get a scissor jack now.Most of you guys probably know,but the Citroen c4 Picasso has the same chassis so the wheel and winch kit are the same parts.
hi

Can you remember the Nut size for the winch please
Regards
John

·
6,572 Posts
I fitted the winch kit to my DS5 (as it shares many parts with 508/5008/Picasso. I used a full size 18" alloy with no issues, the outer diameter of the wheels are similar due to aspect ratio of the tyre.

I also went for the 18" because if you have the higher spec 320mm front discs a 16" wheel will not fit and you have to swap the space saver for a rear wheel and fit the rear wheel to the front if you get a front wheel puncture.

·
6,572 Posts
I am sure the nuts where standard M8 flange nuts

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts