Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, shoot me if you like but we were REALLY low on cash and my car was running low on oil. So I decided to risk it for a week.

Two nights ago I was the gym and the oil pressure/oil low alert came up on the dash and took about 2 mins to start. Drove home... cash would be in the bank in the morning and I could top up the oil. Came to the car in the morn and lo and behold... refused to start at all. Thought maybe I had seized the bloody engine. I bought some oil, topped it right up and still refused to turn over despite cranking as before.

Got chatting to a mechanic mate who I really trust... he said I have probably "picked/pinked/pinged (?)" the rings up (wording was a little muffled). Said to try some easy start into the air intake and it should fire up. It did after about 2/3 seconds and ran fine. Even started up several times after, drove around like a dream (perhaps better than before due to the oil now topped up). No nasty rattles/knocks etc.

Went out this morning... same problem. Refused to start. More easy start... running fine all day. Mechanic is away for 2 weeks now so I'm looking for a little bit of advice on what the problem could possibly be bearing in mind the issues I have had above.

All other fluids look good... fuel on the 1/2 way mark.

Any suggestions/advice would be helpful... I'm a student now so sending it into a garage is a simple no no. Was close to deciding to scrap it yesterday because the MOT is due soon too but we really need the car for getting kids to school and me on my uni placements.

So, in summary:

1. Car ran low on oil night before and would not start following morning
2. Car refilled with oil... will not start
3. Air intake sprayed with Easy Start and turns over immediately
4. Will turn over throughout day
5. Same problems when left for 6-7 hours
6. No rattles or knocking noises when running

Can anyone provide any advice on this, particularly with the mechanics comment about picking/pinking rings?

Thanks

D

·
0 Posts
Is the engine not turning over, as in cranking when you turn the key or is the engine not starting. Running a car with a low oil pressure light is not good especially a turbo diesel.

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine is cranking fine. Literally a half second blast of easy start got it turning over this morning. Starts fine for the rest if the day too. Leave it 6/7hours and goes back to crap.

I know it was bad, made a schoolboy error of epic proportions relative to our situation.

Any thoughts on potential problems?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts