Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021-1.2 GT Premium-Auto-Nimbus Grey-Leather-Pano roof
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I booked my 3008 for its first service at a main dealer and asked about updating the system firmware. They said that updating is not a standard service procedure unless I have noticed "something wrong" with the system that could be firmware related. I accepted this as I hadn't noticed anything.

On reflection, this was a strange comment. There may be something "wrong" with the system in my car which I do not yet know about - after all, you "don't know what you don't know". I emailed Peugeot and they said:

This update would not be done on annual services, the firmware is only ready to be updated when the vehicle notifies you that an update is due. There may be firmware updates available, but not necessarily for your vehicle.
We have to rely on the technicians at our dealers to advise our customers the correct information.

I have asked the dealer to check two problems:

1. Rubbing sound when turning with full right hand lock;

2. Very occasional problem where car needs two presses of the Start button to start the engine. Apparently, this has been reported to the dealer by other owners and I was told will need parts to fix the problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The dealer is putting the onus on you. How would you be expected to "know" if there was something wrong with the firmware? They are supposed to be the experts.......

I don't understand why the dealer does not see if a firmware update is available. After all, mobile phones are updated all the time automatically. The user does not know what bugs are fixed as some are "under the hood". The same with cars. Software deveopers would not go to the time and expense if the updates were not worth while?

The question must be asked why do later production cars have updated firmware versions from the factory?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with your points. If a firmware update can improve "under the hood" things like fuel economy or performance I would want to have it. I was under the impression that updates would only tweak the features and facilities which are shown on, or accessed via the two display screens.

I wonder what Peugeot meant about updates being "not necessarily for your vehicle". Does this mean that the criteria for the updates is not just that its a generic release for all 3008 SUVs, but maybe factors such as petrol or diesel, engine size, manual or automatic, etc also determine whether an update is relevant.

I am in two minds about whether to pursue the updates with the dealer. I kinda follow the "if it ain't (obviously) broke, don't fix it" philosophy. With the wide variation in the degree of technical knowledge of different dealers (well documented on this forum), I don't want to end up with a bricked car!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
"the firmware is only ready to be updated when the vehicle notifies you that an update is due."

There is an implication that the affected cars are signalled (via the radio?) that they need an update. If that's right, and you never switch the radio on, the fallback is if you notice something wrong.

My guess is that, at some stage, hardware items may be changed ("updated") in production, and corresponding software change is then found (sometime later) to be required. If you never need the substitute hardware, you don't need the change.

·
Registered
848 Posts
When I first got my 3008 and had all the trouble with Live Services I also mentioned firmware updates.

The service manager told me they checked if updates were available when annual services were carried out.

My dealer has been very good throughout and I've no reason to doubt that they wouldn't check, however as the service isn't due until August I'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I agree with your points. If a firmware update can improve "under the hood" things like fuel economy or performance I would want to have it. I was under the impression that updates would only tweak the features and facilities which are shown on, or accessed via the two display screens.

I wonder what Peugeot meant about updates being "not necessarily for your vehicle". Does this mean that the criteria for the updates is not just that its a generic release for all 3008 SUVs, but maybe factors such as petrol or diesel, engine size, manual or automatic, etc also determine whether an update is relevant.

I am in two minds about whether to pursue the updates with the dealer. I kinda follow the "if it ain't (obviously) broke, don't fix it" philosophy. With the wide variation in the degree of technical knowledge of different dealers (well documented on this forum), I don't want to end up with a bricked car!
Pray tell...what is a `bricked car`?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Pray tell...what is a `bricked car`?
If, when carrying out the USB firmware update on our cars, it goes wrong, it's like a BIOS update on a PC and 'can' render the audio/navigation system bricked and unusable. Dealer intervention is the only option, if a battery reset or trying the update again doesn't work.

Now Peugeot offer us a formal firmware and map update process for owners to upgrade themselves via their website, there is absolutely no indication what to do if it goes wrong. I would not be confident that this would be covered, but who knows? There isn't any warning I could see about 'carrying it out at your own risk'. Some PC BIOS have a fall back backup BIOS, but I don't believe the NAC systems we have in our cars have that feature.

With my previous C4 Grand Picasso (SMEG+), if firmware updates went wrong, complete unit replacement was the only option. Dealers were then charging customers for the diagnosis and parts as well. Either that or a battle to get it done under warranty. I never touched it and left it well alone.

My experience over 20 years of owning French cars, is that dealers will only do software updates if the customer raises a specific problem that Technical then direct them to fix, by carrying out a firmware upgrade.

Firmware for the audio/navigation seems to fix so few issues, I'm not sure it's worth the risk. I did mine recently (whilst holding my breathe) and other than possibly fixing an issue which I didn't have, with iOS 11 and contacts, there are no discernible changes.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
"the firmware is only ready to be updated when the vehicle notifies you that an update is due."
In my experience, that is not the case with the 3008. I have never been notified by the car that a firmware update is available but the MyPeugeot Windows desktop app has informed me but only when I log-on and click on the relevant menu item.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had my first service (see first post in this thread). Cost was £185

The receptionist said that a firmware update would be installed as part of the service as the update was as a result of a recall.

The invoice referred to:
"RECALL - JAD All models - EB2DTS
Engine: ECU software download OPA"

Can anyone translate JAD and OPA?

They said that the update may fix the very occasional non-starting of the engine.
The rubbing noise when on full right-hand lock requires some new fixing bolts (the dealer rang Peugeot to ask their advice). The car is booked in in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've had my first service (see first post in this thread). Cost was £185

The receptionist said that a firmware update would be installed as part of the service as the update was as a result of a recall.

The invoice referred to:
"RECALL - JAD All models - EB2DTS
Engine: ECU software download OPA"

Can anyone translate JAD and OPA?

They said that the update may fix the very occasional non-starting of the engine.
The rubbing noise when on full right-hand lock requires some new fixing bolts (the dealer rang Peugeot to ask their advice). The car is booked in in a couple of weeks.
If you copy and paste .......RECALL - JAD All models - EB2DTS
Engine: ECU software download OPA into your browser the results are very interesting

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi all,

I have asked the dealer to check two problems:

1. Rubbing sound when turning with full right hand lock;

2. Very occasional problem where car needs two presses of the Start button to start the engine. Apparently, this has been reported to the dealer by other owners and I was told will need parts to fix the problem.
Hi wolf882:

I am just wondering apart from the firmware updates, did your dealer have any comment on the issue "Rubbing sound when turning with full right hand lock" ?? Any further check-up or explanation for this noise coming from steering system?

I found mine has the similar humming noise when manoeuvring for parking at low speed especially reversing just using clutch control (no braking involved).

Many thanks for your information,

·
Registered
495 Posts
hi wolf882:

I am just wondering apart from the firmware updates, did your dealer have any comment on the issue "rubbing sound when turning with full right hand lock" ?? Any further check-up or explanation for this noise coming from steering system?

I found mine has the similar humming noise when manoeuvring for parking at low speed especially reversing just using clutch control (no braking involved).

Many thanks for your information,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts