Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek: Has anyone built a boot install from fibre glass on any car. I am thinking about doing this in my stripped out 205, so the install will go right up to the front seats from the rear.
My question is.....

HOW MUCH FIBRE GLASS IS REQUIRED, I KNOW YOU CAN GET 5Kg PACKS WITH ALL CONTENTS FOR THE JOB.... HOW MANY Kgs WILL I NEED TO BE BUYING for a decent install?
:confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
For this process, you will need:

1. 1x1 Inch MDF (Enough for your own car)
2. Plenty of screws
3. Strong glue
4. Old bed sheet (Preferably some stretchy fabric)
5. FastGlas Resin and Hardener
6. Grinder (Or drill attachment sander)
7. FibreGlass matting

Right then, lets begin!

Step 1

First of all I made a MDF base which fits very tightly between the two wheel arches so I can screw my sub boxes and amp structure to it so I don't have to screw into the metal work, so if I want to remove the install to sell the car, I can, and you'll never know it was there!...

Step 2

Then I made two side panels that fit under and into the arch shape on each side.

Step 3

Then I set down to making a back and floor to the side pieces I have already made, I used 1x1 inch wood to use as brackets and add more support, I also used a filling strong glue so it acts as a sealant, as well as screws.

Step 5

Then test fit it to the car.

All look's good.

Step 6

I then cut out two 10"(internal diameter) rings for my subs to sit in and be screwed to. Then I fixed 3 cane (legs) to the rings, 2 at the back and 1 at the front, the back 2 are 4 times longer then the front one so the ring sits at an angle.

Step 7

Then I stretched and pinned some fabric (I used an old bed sheet, but stretchy fabric is the best!) around each straight edge and made some rigs the same size as the OUTER diameter and screwed them down so the fabric didn't lose the ring shape as the tension in it makes it take the straightest route, not good as we want curves!

Step 6

Then I painted on a mixture of Fibre Glass resin and hardener onto the fabric.

I used 'FastGlas' Resin and Hardener....

Step 7

Then I removed the wooden ring and cut out the circle.

Step 8

Then I had to cut off the excess fabric around the edges.

Step 7

Then I got a grinder (you could use a drill attachment sander, but grinder is so much quicker!) and tidied up the edges.

This is after two coats of resin.

Step 8

The next job is to cover the entire cloth area with FibreGlass matting, this is a tight weave of actual glass that when it has resin on, creates a unbelievable strong surface, below is a picture of the weave of the matting and two forms you can buy it in, the roll is what I use from a local body shop and the packet is from Halfords.

And then I resin that onto the cloth, this will create a really strong structure that you could stand on, I will be showing this later!

Step 9

I then mixed the resin and hardener together and mixed it well and laid the matting on the stiffened cloth and painted the resin onto it making it stick to the cloth, I did this process a few times and now its so strong I can pick the entire box up by the ring!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts