Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

After purchasing peugeot plannet i have now realized that my OBDII Connector is faulty and i need a little help sorting it out. I am not very good with the electrical side of things but i am mechanically minded and would like to try and sort it out with a little guidance from other forum members.

So here goes, after researching the DBDII connector i found a youtube video showing how to check that it works here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e-9_...eature=related

According to that video i should have a reading of 3.5v on pin 7 and i dont. This must be the reason PP wont talk to my cars ECU as it is the engine and gearbox diagnostic pin.

I should also have 12v on pin 16 and mine reads 18.4v so im guessing something is wrong here too???

Can someone help me fix the above problems or advice me on where to start. I have tried checking the fuses and they all seem fine so i dont really know where to go from here. The car is a 2002 406 HDI 90 if that helps.

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes thats the one. No stereo in at the moment its sitting downstairs ready to be recoded when pp is up and running.

I just going to watch it again as i could swear he said to messure the voltage on pin 7 and it should be around 3.5 and that was his problem but he dont say how he fixed it lol

G

·
midas said:
I have tried checking the fuses and they all seem fine so i dont really know where to go from here
:D :lol:

He said they found some faulty wiring and corrected it, i think, will watch again...

Edit: yeah no voltage on pin 7 so he tried a resistance test with battery disconnected, got high resistance so worked out it was a short to ground

Can be caused by faulty ECU's, water, bad wiring

Think you need to do a resistance check next, using a better earth point than the *** lighter :D

G

·
I'd get the resistance check done to confirm it has high resistance first!

Or is that the bit you will struggle with?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi mate. i had another go at it but this time used a better meter to do the job and i got a 12.6v reading on pin 16 so at least thats one problem i havnt got to worry about.

I am not the good with resistance but tried anyway and this is what i got.

0.99v 0n pin 4
0.99v on pin 5
and no response on pin 7 whatsoever

My earth point was the ground wire on the ashtry light!

Guessing this is going to be a garage job and lots more money as i dont know how to read the diagrams in the haynes manuals. If anyone has a noob friendly way of explaining how i go about tracing the break then please advise me or if you have any other ideas then jump in.

Other than taking it to a pro i have no idea how to proceed now or even if i am using the multimetre right : (

Any tips?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bigboots said:
i no it sounds a silly question but have you checked the fuse???
I did but just to make sure i checked every single fuse again with a multimeter and all where fine.

I have been studying the haynes manual diagrams and theres one thing i cant get my head round.

pin 7 is the one i am tying to trace, I see in the diagram that it is wire 9006(bg) or 9600(bg) on the diagnostic socket and the the manual tells me to go to the engine management page. On the engine management page i see wire 9006 going into item 21 which is the engine management unit. This is where i get lost, how do i know where the wire comes out of the engine management unit as there is no wire 9006 coming out?:confused:

I know i am missing something here but i have never even tried to read an electrical diagram before. If someone could explain this for me i will be well on my way ;)

thanks

G

·
It wont come out of your engine management unit else where, that is the entire length of that circuit, ie from engine ECU to diagnostic port :thumb:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stubbo said:
It wont come out of your engine management unit else where, that is the entire length of that circuit, ie from engine ECU to diagnostic port :thumb:
thanks

Ok so am i right in thinking that all i have to do is check to see if i have power coming from the port on engine management system?

And if there is no power there and that's causing my problems where do i go from there then? :confused:

G

·
This is where it gets tricky!

Rather than probe the BSI/ECU itself i'd be more inclined to let the BSI go to sleep, disconnect battery, disconnect relevant multiplug from the BSI/ECU and then just probe along the wire (ie between this connector and the diagnostic connector to see if there is continuity on the line)

That at least will rule out the wiring between the 2

However what knock on effects this might have i cant be sure of, i cant try anything like this until i get my multimeter back!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stubbo said:
This is where it gets tricky!

Rather than probe the BSI/ECU itself i'd be more inclined to let the BSI go to sleep, disconnect battery, disconnect relevant multiplug from the BSI/ECU and then just probe along the wire (ie between this connector and the diagnostic connector to see if there is continuity on the line)

That at least will rule out the wiring between the 2

However what knock on effects this might have i cant be sure of, i cant try anything like this until i get my multimeter back!

I tried that today and didnt get very far, my multimeter has big prongs and it proved to be most difficult unless i was willing to push the probe through the wires plastic coating and i wasn't willing to do that.

Im that pissed i just cant be bothered anymore so im just going to have a call out electrician do it for me and watch him very closely so im ready for the next time.

Im gutted really as i cant see it being anything else other than the wire between the pin and the ECU but as all things with cars, nothing is as simple as it first seems :nono:

When you say probe along the wire how do you mean? Is there a tool or multimeter connection that does this without breaking the wires shielding? It would make my life alot easier if there is!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im going to have one more bash tommorow as ive just had the idea of using a small sewing needle as my probe. At least then i wont be to worried about damaging the wires plastic coating :)

Being able to check the wires like this would make my life so much easier and has filled me with new found enthusiasm lol

After that im going to give up :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had another go at it this morning and found continuity from pin 7 to every white wire going in to the ECU so im guessing the white wires are all diagnostic and tell the ECU about the various components. (i think) :confused:

I had a conversation with a local garage this morning and they are going to check it over for me on Monday, but they guy also said that there being no voltage on pin 7 could be an ECU fault :eek:

Things just keep getting better dont they? If it is actually a faulty ECU then i guess i might as well scrap the car as i think they cost a small fortune, then there's the work to recode it so ive read!

Im not winning here at all am i? :) Oh well i guess there's nothing i can do really until i verify the ECU is faulty and if that is the case i think i will take a trip down the scrappy for a bulb or something and just borrow an ECU :rolleyes:

in case it does get to that stage can someone advise me on how i go about getting the right one for my car and in fact if there are options available like using other ones that will work?

G

·
Why were you probing from pin 7 to every wire?

You only needed to do a resistence test from pin7 on diag connector, to relevant pin on ECU multiplug

Saying that the fact you get a reading on all wires could indicate that the pin 7 cable is grounding somewhere along its journey, which is what the problem most likely will be!

Dont give up with this, owning a peugeot is all about the perseverance!!

PS surely the cost of recoding would be £0 as you could then use your newly working planet to do this!! :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Stubbo said:
Why were you probing from pin 7 to every wire?

You only needed to do a resistence test from pin7 on diag connector, to relevant pin on ECU multiplug

Saying that the fact you get a reading on all wires could indicate that the pin 7 cable is grounding somewhere along its journey, which is what the problem most likely will be!

Dont give up with this, owning a peugeot is all about the perseverance!!

PS surely the cost of recoding would be £0 as you could then use your newly working planet to do this!! :D
I could not identify the correct pin on the ECU's connector so instead i probed the same color wire, which in this case is white. As i got a reading on all white wire's im assuming these are the data wires that carry the information from the various component to the ECU and are connected some way.

If the pin 7 wire is grounding somewhere along the way as you say then im still stuck as i would not know how to rectify this.

I have one more idea though, if i measure the voltage cumming from the white wires on the ECU connector and none show a 3.5v reading then this would mean that it is the ECU not delivering the power. I will try this tomorrow and correct me if im wrong but doing this should tell me if its the ECU or not one way or another.

I normally persevere but this one has got me stumped and i feel i am in over my head with not enough electrical knowledge to sort it out.

Thanks for your continued support and feel free to throw any more ideas out there for me to try. I will report back tomorrow and let you know if i get the 3.5v reading coming from the ECU, In the mean time its beer night so im going to give my brain a rest :cool:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just a little update as to where i am at.

12v on pin 16

0.25 to 0.25 ohms on Pin 4 & 5

Still No resistance or power on Pin 7

Cant identify correct pin on ECU plug but get continuity when probing suspected wires, ie pink one not white like mentioned in earlier post. But i get a various readings on all wire's so i am lost there.

I have tried measuring the voltage on the suspected wires coming from the ecu and none supply the 3.5v required by pin 7 / the K line! ECU FAULT???

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm238/mr_midas/Copyofimg004.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm238/mr_midas/img005.jpg

Links to Haynes diagrams in case they help you help me!

I have also been speaking to pugbod who suggested that the stereo's anti theft system could possible be affecting my k-line. Let me include a little more info about the car. When i got it it had no battery connected and the drivers window was stuck open so the drivers side interior was soaked. I assumed that the anti theft audio alarm was due to the battery being disconnected but cannot guarantee it is the original stereo for the car as i dont know much about the history. If the anti theft system is affecting the k-line then i dont know where to go from here as i would need PP to Recode it and without power to the k line i guess that's is impossible.

I got the car booked in tomorrow to check the diagnostic socket but im guessing this will be a waste of time if it is in fact the anti theft system as they wont be able to do anything anyway.

So to round up im still not sure if its an ECU fault, a Break in a wire somewhere or in fact the stereo's anti theft system as suggested by pugbod.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.