Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

My lights are coming on randomly, usually when indicating or if you just wiggle the indicator/light stalk.

I've read this seems a common issue I'm wondering if it's possible to tell if it would be the Dav comm 2000 or Delphi unit without stripping the steering wheel first so I can get the correct parts before hand (or at least a minimal strip) ?

it's a 308 1.6 (120 sport) Petrol - 2008

thanks for looking :thumb:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Same car as mine, same year, everything, I had the same problem, it's the Comms unit, I brought a brand new one off eBay for £150, you can get 2nd hand ones fairly cheap, but why bother, it might have the same problem and it's not a 5min job to change them, I'll look the part number up on my eBay feedback for you when I get 5 mins spare, if you do fit a new one, you'll probably get an esp fault after fitted, to fix it, you need to downgrade the steering wheel sensor.

·
11,838 Posts
Its probably a COMM2005 unit. Sadly they don't seem to be as easily repairable than the older COMM2000 unit. All I've seen are recon exchanges.

However, I've fixed a few by giving the base of the stalk a good spray of electrical contact cleaner.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its probably a COMM2005 unit. Sadly they don't seem to be as easily repairable than the older COMM2000 unit. All I've seen are recon exchanges.

However, I've fixed a few by giving the base of the stalk a good spray of electrical contact cleaner.
can you get to it by removing just the steering column cowling and spray down it, or do you still need to remove the airbag/steering wheel ?

cheers

·
Registered
14,951 Posts
Same car does not mean same comms !

As said it will be a comm 2005 and these are different to comm 2000 its not hard to remove the cowlings to get a look at the labels i doubt you can fix it without removal if it can be fixed its best done off the car as its not easy to get apart.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same car does not mean same comms !

As said it will be a comm 2005 and these are different to comm 2000 its not hard to remove the cowlings to get a look at the labels i doubt you can fix it without removal if it can be fixed its best done off the car as its not easy to get apart.
labels showing it as a Com2005 Delphi unit.

thank you :thumb:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes that's the same part as mine, the part I posted a link to on eBay is the correct part, they changed the part number for some reason about 3 times, it took me a week of phone calls and different messages to different people to find that out.

It's not an easy fix and can lead to more problems if not done right, you can however just buy a replacement new indicator stalk for £50 off eBay which I later discovered and just change that part, I'll see if I can find the link for that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes that's the same part as mine, the part I posted a link to on eBay is the correct part, they changed the part number for some reason about 3 times, it took me a week of phone calls and different messages to different people to find that out.

It's not an easy fix and can lead to more problems if not done right, you can however just buy a replacement new indicator stalk for £50 off eBay which I later discovered and just change that part, I'll see if I can find the link for that.
Did you notice if it had the ribbon connection for the stalk ?, I've seen this one on ebay for £25, the seller as said it is compatible, but as you said the model no's are showing different.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STEERING-COLUMN-INDICATOR-SWITCH-STALK-FOR-PEUGEOT-207-308-COM2005/231839688328?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

·
Registered
96 Posts
Did you notice if it had the ribbon connection for the stalk ?, I've seen this one on ebay for £25, the seller as said it is compatible, but as you said the model no's are showing different.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STEERING-COLUMN-INDICATOR-SWITCH-STALK-FOR-PEUGEOT-207-308-COM2005/231839688328?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Yes that's the correct part, model numbers are a right pain as they keep on changing them for some reason, but mine is the same, Delphi comm2005 and has the ribbon cables.

The issues with these vary, some say its the ribbon cable that goes faulty causing the lights to flash, others say it just the metal contacts and some others say its the stupid little plastic ball joint in the end (especially on the earlier ones) that wears, just easier for that price to just change the whole stalk.

Just as a quick note to add to this: once you have removed the steering wheel and comms unit to swap the stalk over, when you put it all back together, you may find you get a ESP fault on the dash, I got it straight away, others report getting it after the car goes above 5 mph, its the steering wheel angle sensor, it happens whenever you remove the steering wheel, you need to get a mechanic to plug his computer into it and re-configure it, takes about 5 mins, some will do it for free, others will charge you about £25, but as you are not changing the whole unit, you may be ok.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so after dismantling everything I found out my Delphi 2005 unit actually has a plug in connector not the ribbon cable sort that the ebay seller said would fit doh.

well, I've cleaned it all up and will refit tomorrow, hopefully its done something, if not i'll have to source a complete new unit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the lights are still coming on so looks like i'll have to replace the whole unit.

how critical is it to get the same part number as a replacement, all the ebay sellers are none comital in if it's different it wont work, there are a few different Delphi 2005 units for sale with different part numbers but have the same 4 connections on the back and the 2 air bag connections on the front.

would these still work or has it got to be the exact same part no ?

mine currently is 96640635XT, the one I've seen is 96652985XT

cheers

·
Registered
96 Posts
the lights are still coming on so looks like i'll have to replace the whole unit.

how critical is it to get the same part number as a replacement, all the ebay sellers are none comital in if it's different it wont work, there are a few different Delphi 2005 units for sale with different part numbers but have the same 4 connections on the back and the 2 air bag connections on the front.

would these still work or has it got to be the exact same part no ?

mine currently is 96640635XT, the one I've seen is 96652985XT

cheers
https://peugeotpartsforsale.com/index.php?_route_=peugeot-citroen-com-2005-unit-reconditioned-unit-part-no-96640635xt

Im guessing the surcharge is for you to return your old unit to them, then they refund it too you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the link, your google obviously works better than mine :D

one of the tabs on mine cracked when I opened it so i'm guessing they'd class that as been tampered with so wont refund the £50, so ultimately paying £150 for a reconditioned unit which may fail again.

I've bit the bullet and plumped for a new one at £260 posted, more than I wanted to spend as the car only cost my £995 but needs must.

According to Peugeot Servicebox the superseded model no. to suit my car is 98070083XT, so that's what I've ordered.

With this being a new unit will it still need calibrating ?

·
Registered
14,951 Posts
Part numbers vary with manufacturing output there are probably 20 units that will fit and work the part numbers really do not matter !

What matters is the switches have the same functions only ESP models need recalibrated and ESP cars can ONLY use an ESP comm unit

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes it will need calibration, you'll get an EPS fault, as I said before, it's just the steering angle sensor that needs calibrating, if you have servicebox or PP2000 then you can do it with that, it will just have you turning the steering wheel a quarter of a turn to the left, then the right, then back to the centre, finally reset and it will be done.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts