Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought glow plugs were a thing of the past for starting engines from cold. Don't know where it is I got that idea from but I can remember back in the day always waiting for the light to extinguish before attempting to start the car, now you just get in and turn it over.

My issue is that now we have a cold snap, my car takes longer to start on a morning. Spins over well but fires up after a couple of seconds rather than instantly.

Sometimes (twice) it fires up and idles at 500rpm and will not speed up even if you press the accelerator! you have to turn off then re-start and it is fine.
No fault displays on the dash but I haven't hooked it up to a diagnostic tool.

Could the cold starting issue be accredited to the glow plugs?
I am looking at selling the car very soon and it has flown through its MOT. I have already had a new battery fitted 6 months ago, cambelt, water pump, service at same time then at the end of july a new dual mass flywheel and clutch installed.

With reading other threads there is the possibility of it being the starter :(

My car is a 55plate 2.0HDI SW 136. 113k on the clock.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have just changed my heater plugs. None of my old ones were working but still started fine even past -4 the other week.
Now the plugs are all new and working it starts exactly as it did with the old ones in. Can't tell any difference so i suspect it isn't plug related.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I'll be surprised if it's the starter as that won't affect idle speed.
do a continuity test on glow plugs, that will tell you if any are blown.
when it's cold the plugs will stay on low till engine is running properly.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The glow plugs are used every time you start it, and they run for a couple of minutes (exactly how long for depends on the coolant temperature). You only have to wait for them when it's very cold.

They're also used to put load on the engine during DPF regeneration, and in fact failed glow plugs can cause DPF regeneration to fail.

Therefore it's well worth making sure they're working.

·
Registered
240 Posts
yes the light, i think, is only a reminder of the plugs working(idiot light)but they will stay on to make for a smoother few minutes after a start from 'cold'(ie not just a restart but first of the day etc)so yes theyre pretty important.
having done all that work on it why not hang on and reap the benefits of your sinking the cash into it??it'll make for a cheap car for the next lucky recipient.....:thumb:
neil

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New job in new year with company car or I would be keeping it. It is a good bus.

Having looked at how to replace the plugs I think I will leave alone but europarts have a special offer on the glow plugs at the minute. £10 for bosch.

Could it be the cps? Just curious now :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts