Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi every one.
I looked at a friends 207 cc today as making noise at about 2500 Rpm.
Plugged in with planet.
got p1385, variable cam soliniod b malfunction.
And p0341, camshaft sensor a bank 1, thinking this is a secondary fault.
I'm thinking timing chain as noise is from that part of the engine.
Thoughts please?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Forgot to say.
when I removed the oil filler cap to listen to valves, there was a really strong smell of petrol in the vapours coming from it.
Also believe engine is the 1.6 turbo thp.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
P1385 is super knock on the THP engine, nothing to do with variable cam sensor position, basically ur inlet valves are clogged up and blocking air coming thru into the cylinder.

The other fault is camshaft position sensor related p0341

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and would that make a noise at around 2500 Rpm?
So you would recommend removing and cleaning all air inlet pipes and use of a egr type cleaner while engine is running?
Many thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Yeh could make noise as the air into the cylinders is now a different amount than what the air flow sensor is picking up, so the igniting in the cylinder doesn't have enough air in it, and causing the super knock fault code to come up, and possibly the 2nd code too, could be related but for sake of 20 odd quid for a sensor I would change that one.

Nah wouldn't bother with any product like that when car is running as it doesn't touch the inlets for long enough, just throwing money away doing it that way.

Best way is a strip down of th cylinder head but obvioUsly that costs a fair bit, but u can clean the inlets manually if have the rite tools and patience or various companies can clean them using a process called walnut blasting,

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Am I correct in saying though that these engines do suffer from timing chain stretch?
Also why would there be a strong smell of petrol coming from the oil filler cap?
local bmw garage offers walnut blasting.
Many thanks Greg

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
yeh the timing can go on these and is fairly common issue.

the smell from oil cap area, probably oil vapour from the PCV set up.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Done a load more research and investigation using a borascope.
no sign of excess build up in the inlet valves So that rules that out.
have removed timing cover to reveal a badly worn chain, looks like my first instincts were correct!!!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
You won't see the inlet valves clogged using a bore scope, u need to view from the inlet manifold side.

How did u measure the chain? As its a measurement taking out the timing tensioner and putting in a dummy you measure with,

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
60000 with with not so good service history.
I removed all the air inlet pipes and manifold to put the scope in.
Besides if there was clogging the engine would be down on power, which it's not.
also I would expect the turbo preasure to be higher?
Only done visual on chain and some of the links look very worn.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
at 60k they will be be needing cleaned can assure u of that if they not already been done before hand.

But if u don't think they are bad then good luck to you.

·
Registered
875 Posts
not so sure with the turbo but with the vti you can see the tensioner with the cam cover removed, if it looks fully expanded from the inner piston bit then chain suspect.

inner piston bit is 22mm fully out.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
That may be so but the problems with the chain are the same engine sounds like it has been poorly serviced this WILL increase likelihood of chain/tensioner problems

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Agree about the lack of servicing causes huge issues, always always keep oil at max!!

These inlets were 45k when we cleaned them and they were like this before they were touched.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's out of my hands now, she's taken the car to a friend of mine to look at as I don't have a work shop nor am I a mechanic.
he's convinced it's the chain to though but I will keep you all up to date!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok car is fixed
the timing chain, tensioner and sprockets all replaced.
fault no longer present.
Thanks to all for the help!

·
Registered
875 Posts
was just thinking, since the new chain she hasnt come back from work and said.....'the depolution thing has come back on'

think for any fault related to cams its worth checking the chain.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts