Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've had the 'unblock diesel filter' message come on occasionally for some time now on my 307 2.0 HDi and the warning light on the dash also. Having taken it to my local dealer I've been told it needs the particle filter replacing, not just topped up. They warned me that if I didn't replace it that it would cause damage to the engine and most likely damage the turbocharger which would then cost much more.

Firstly, it is my understanding the particle filter is in the exhaust system and therefore unless it completely blocked up it could never damage the engine, could anyone confirm this please. Secondly how often is it likely the filter really needs replacing but the dealer just does it to fleece you, silly question that one I know.

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
387 Posts
FAP filter

Particulate filter - anti pollution fault - emissions filter cost.

My understanding is that it can damage the cat as it is directly linked to the fap filter. Unfortunately if they say it needs doing there's no way round it and if you get it done it's best done with Peugeot. I had mine done today for £428. Below highlighted in red is my previous post regarding the cost of these filters.

i just thought i'd add a note of caution to the costs of these filters & fluid.
I've had 4 307's with 3 requiring this filter. one went straight back to the trader as the car was to put it bluntly not roadworthy, the second 307 had a new particulate filter and fluid done at Sunwin Peugeot in Loughborough for a cost of £440 last october. After selling that car I brought another 307 last week and you've guessed it, after 4 days the sensor warning light came on again saying anti-pollution fault, I took it to Peugeot on Abbey lane in Leicester for a diagnostic(£55) and was quoted £699.99 for a filter & fluid (nearly passed out). I got straight onto the phone at Sunwin and was quoted £430 inc parts, lab & vat(huge difference I know). Basically from what peugeot loughborough tell me, Peugeot charge £600 for a filter but give you back 60% of the cost as they take your old one and regenerate it. Obviously Peugeot in Leicester forget to tell you this, charge you the full rate and reclaim back the discount for themselves. In a nut shell the difference in cost for the filter and fluid between the two garages was £260. How they get away with that stuns me. Anywaythe the cars booked in at loughborough and can highly recommend their service as I've used them on a number of occasions before and found them to be very good and just as important "honest". cheaper diagnostic price too(£40).

·
Registered
3 Posts
let me clear this all up the fap system is a bit crap and temperamental
but when PEF fluid runs low or out the filter will dry up and burn out causing warning lights cause the emissions are out could fail the mot
if you drive everywhere without thrashing it a little everynow and then or do no motorway miles wotsoever then the filter becomes blocked with all the particles its trying to burn it doesn't mean the exhaust is completely blocked technicians its crap to work on and you never make any money from these jobs but all the parts and fluids are expensive even reconditioned filters
my advice buy a petrol :D

·
Registered
387 Posts
FAP filter

I would still rather pay £450 for a filter that'll last me the next 4-5 years than pay £500 (at least) a year extra on running a petrol car. And then there's the depreciation, diesels may cost a bit more to buy (not always) but you get better money for them when you sell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The emissions have not been a problem as it just passed an MOT without any hassle, I also believe the main dealer I take the car to for servicing has not helped the problem by failing to inform owners about when fluids should be topped up, none of the service advisers could actually tell me at what intervals the fluid should be topped up, they must have loads of similar engined cars going in and out all week, it's no wonder so many are having problems with filters burning out.

Incidentally, my car does a mixture of long runs and about town driving so it does get plenty of opportunities for the filter to burn off as it is intended to.

Back to my original point though, is the garage wrong in telling me the Turbocharger is at risk from not having this problem sorted, bearing in mind there is no obvious blockage to the exhaust system and emissions are running at MOT acceptable limits.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.