Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've just bought a 2005 Peugeot 307 2.0 HDi, the first car I've had with a FAP filter.

I bought this car on Saturday and I've ALREADY had an anti-pollution fault flag up on my car, which has come up three times since I got it and then gone away again in the 6-7 trips I've made in it. I know from reading forums that this could mean any number of things, but my question specifically is: could this be caused by the FAP filter needing regeneration? I noticed the MOT certificate from the MOT/service the dealer carried out is from 15 July, which presumably means it hasn't been driven much for at least a couple of weeks (and then only for short test drives). Is this long enough for the FAP to start complaining, or could I have a bigger problem at hand? So far, the fault has not affected acceleration or fuel economy at all.

NB: The dealer I bought it from has said he's happy to pay for any necessary diags and/or repairs, but I don't want to hassle him unless it's really needed.

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you get stuck then i am in cambridge (cottenham) and have planet for diagnostics. First thing to do is take it for a good blast down the A14. Try 3rd gear and about 70mph for 10 mins. That should give her a good blow out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks zooankski! I'm only in Impington myself. I drive up and down the M11 every day for work so I'll give it a blast down there tonight and see what happens.

Car now seems to be bunny-hopping very mildly when I sit at 40mph in 4th gear (i.e. I can feel the acceleration varying but not severely)... any idea what this might be about?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Take it back to the dealer & let them do the necessary tests. You will probably find that they cant read all the fault codes anyway (unless they are peugeot) but give them a chance to rectify the problem.

Unfortunately, anything to do with the FAP isn't a cheap fix, whether it's a forced regen, fluid top up or new FAP (fingers crossed for a faulty censor)

A good thing would be to take it to someone with a planet and get all the fault codes ready for your visit to the dealer or alternatively you could pay Peugeot for a diagnostic and tell them that all faults are to be fixed by your dealer, they also do an all round car health check in with the price of the diagnostic (£45-£50), peace of mind is what you need.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, all - I'm booked in to a garage this weekend and the dealer has again promised to pay for anything they find wrong with it.

zooankski, thanks for the offer, have sent you an email now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: Have been to zooankski's for a Planet diagnostic. Apparently the sensor in the fuel cap has gone and no additive is being put into the diesel, so the FAP isn't burning off soot properly. Hopefully an easy fix and it hasn't been there long enough to break anything!

·
Registered
406 Posts
this is the third pug and one citroen that have had this sensor u/s. Unless it is working you always get a host of other faults so it needs to be sorted first.
one of them was my own 307 and once i replaced it , it all fell in to place :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
At least it's only the sensor, a nice easy fix, you need to try and do a forced regen now though to try and get your filter right just in case this has been going on for a while.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't say for sure how long it's been going on but I imagine not long. Funny you should mention that - I've just done a manual forced regen on the motorway and it seems to have sorted out the acceleration issue I mentioned above, so I guess the FAP isn't beyond repair!

·
Registered
406 Posts
amazing what a good hack in third gear at 70 can do :) , defo need to sort the sensor and then re check what faults you have - None hopefully after clearing them down and driving it for a bit:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, after this morning's visit to the garage I have an interesting update!

Apparently, not only has the fuel cap sensor gone, but the EGR and turbo wastegate valves need cleaning out (which probably explains the acceleration problem and the slightly lower fuel economy than I was expecting to get). Unfortunately I now have to wait until next weekend to get everything sorted out... hopefully next Saturday will bring more definitive news and a healthy car!

·
Registered
33 Posts
4th gear up the motorway for 20 mins @ 70 should do it.
Thanks for the tip. Ive often had the thing where you arrive somewhere to find the fan is blowing like mad, despite the engine being at its standard temperature.

To be sure today, I have driven 20 mins @ 70 in 4th, one way, then turned around and driven normally the way back. No fan on parking, so Im assuming its worked.

Wouldnt it be nice if the car actually told you it was doing this and how much longer it would take?

Would it be have been ok to drive for 10 mins in one direction, then come back on myself the other 10 mins, or would the inevitable stop on the motorway junction ruin it?

J

·
0 Posts
Don't think the stop would ruin it... my 407 will do it even when driving around town, it just seem to takes a bit longer for it to complete, but is definitely better to do it at speed rather than around town :thumb:

·
Registered
33 Posts
But saying that, there is no way to know if it worked or not. (Peugeot planet aside)

Or more importantly if it finished. I think thats my problem, I do 15 mins on the motorway every morning and night. It just isnt quite enough to complete. :(

J

·
0 Posts
If you're doing 15 mins on the motorway twice a day then I cannot see you having a problem with regens... my 407 completes its regen in less than 5 mins (4-5miles normally) and then continues as normal. On a motorway, you wouldn't even know its happening :)
What leads you to think yours isn't completing then?

Edit: if the regen doesn't complete when switched off, when you restart and drive, it will try again to complete the regen, and so on until it does complete. You can tell when its happening, and can tell when its finished too :thumb:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just had my additive refilled, and the garage told me I needed to do a regen.

The fact I come off the motorway with temp at normal (78 deg c) fans are going like mad whenever I stop. Even when we had the -16 weather it was still doing this, despite temp being less than normal.

When I did my 20 mins in forth gear, it didnt do it when I got home or even when I was stopped on the motorway junction. So Im assuming this has now completed the regen.

Its a bit sketchy I know, but when a chimp programs a computer with no feedback for the user this is what you get. :(

Im going to listen out for it doing it these next few weeks as Im back to my normal commute.

Mine's a 307 2005 btw.

Oh and if it did it in 5 mins, why would Betty recommend driving hard for 20 mins?

Edit: if the regen doesn't complete when switched off, when you restart and drive, it will try again to complete the regen, and so on until it does complete. You can tell when its happening, and can tell when its finished too :thumb:
How can you tell exactly? You cant on my car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts