Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have read an old post of your regarding converting SMF vans to DMF. I have a 12 reg dispatch and the clutch judders when I pull off or reverse so I am assuming it?s due to the fact it had a SMF, it?s also slippping when accelerating at roughly 2000 revs. Do you still recommend fitting a DMF over the SMF, I like the idea of getting rid of the clutch judder and am hoping the DMF will solve this

Thanks

Lee

·
Registered
14,880 Posts
I recommend calling it a solid flywheel :)

Single mass flywheel is a stupid piece of marketing bollox its just a standard flywheel or solid flywheel !

Think you may be a bit mixed up though older vans had dual mass as standard later vans say 2012 on when euro 5 came in were solid.

As for what is best its down to preference really i like dual mass flywheels when they work as they make everything smoother solid is fine but a bit harsher in our experience neither is better both work and both wear out just as quick.

Dual mass flywheels tend to fail before the clutches do though.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
If a clutch shudders, it is not normally the flywheel that causes it, rather some pressure plate clamping springs lose tensile strength and do not feed the clamping effort onto the clutch plate evenly, causing juddering.
In a solid flywheel, this juddering transfers directly to the drive train as there is no cushioning, so you feel it.
With a dual mass flywheel, this uneven uptake is partially or completely damped by the dual mass system. However, the juddering is still present and will wear out the dual mass flywheel faster, so really is only masking the problem, and when it does finally fail, will normally cost you a flywheel and clutch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply?s. my van is a 2012 Euro 5 and definitely has a solid fly wheel, that?s why I thought the judder might be caused by that.

·
Registered
14,880 Posts
Clutch getting heavy can be a sign its getting old the heat seems to alter the springiness of the clutch cover over time making it stiff also these later clutches have a self adjusting system on them and that can also affect pedal feel as they wear.

As will says judder is caused by the clutch possible worn possibly contaminated with something so replacing the clutch should cure both issues the flywheel will be fine unless the clutch is worn to the point of damaging it

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Plan on fitting a complete new clutch in the near future. You are describing the classic symptoms of a worn clutch. Make sure you get a reputable brand, LUK and Valeo are well regarded here.

Roger.

·
Registered
66 Posts
clutch judder

The judder can be assumed to be clutch but could also be engine mounts that are damaged/oil soaked and not doing there job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ve had the clutch replaced now and the judder has gone. It drives some much better. Thanks for all your help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts