Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed their fuel gauge developing a mind of its own?... I'm still trying to diagnose the exact cause but basically....

Sometimes I can turn the key to the pre ignition position and the gauge on the dash hasn't zeroed itself from the last time it was driven. So for example, if you know you have 3/4 of a tank, when you start the engine the dial goes past max to the 6/4 position it will then stay there for the duration of the journey.

The gauge should re zero itself when the car shuts down so its possible to do by taking the key out of the ignition and waiting ~30 seconds until it attempts to do so, but it only returns to the original offset of 3/4. If you put the key back in the ignition and turn to pre ignition position then turn the engine off, remove the key and wait for a further 30 seconds it resets itself to zero most of the time.

The problem is intermittent, but I'm not sure that if I don't have much diesel left whether the light will still come on to notify me that I am low if the gauge thinks I have twice as much as I do?

·
Registered
821 Posts
The problem is intermittent, but I'm not sure that if I don't have much diesel left whether the light will still come on to notify me that I am low if the gauge thinks I have twice as much as I do?
Good question, i guess it mostly depends on weather the problem is caused by faulty fuel level reading, malfunction in needle motor or something else. If you feel like experimenting, i would switch the motors between the fuel level and for example oil temperature to see how that affects it. on my 407 the needle motors can be simply popped off the pcb.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I would say that the display unit is at fault. If its not zero-ing itself then its probably something electrical. If it was an older vehicle, as in the dial moves all the time whilst driving, then I would say it was probably fault readings being taken in the tank. Plus, its using the last position as zero-ed spot.

As you say its intermittent, when is it likely to do it? Cold? Hot? First thing in morning?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
mine does this i have ran a check in planet and nothing, when i start the car it stays at zero and fuel light is on, only thing ive changed is the intank pump so i think the float is sticking as few times ive filled up say £30 that brings me to half a tank when its just above the red so it will stay half till i get home or work ect then when i start the car again its above the red! so i drove like this for a few days as i know what was in the tank goes an fill up again and am over half full this time tonight there its done the same so am going to remove the float at the weekend and see what its like clean it and see if that helps:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts