Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

A friend is having issues with her 207, and I'm not entirely convinced at what she is being told by her garage.

Car is a 2010 207 1.4 VTi 16v 85bhp (servicebox checked).

Every time she unlocks the car, the engine fan starts up! This is also accompanied (possibly connected, possibly not) with the air conditioning not working.

The car is well looked after. A mobile mechanic could find no fault at all, so my friend took it to her other regular garage, who are saying they want to send the ecu off to be checked, intimating that the engine believes it is too hot. The temperature gauge works exactly as intended, so I believe the thermostat is operating correctly.

My feeling is that this is electrical rather than ecu, but I admit I've never worked on a 207 so am hoping that somebody here may be able to advise? I've read posts on 407's having relays which control both the fan and the a/c, is this also true on the 207?

Any ideas gratefully received - I'd hate for her to spend £100 getting the ecu checked, and potentially another £500 getting a new one, if its as simple as a relay!

Thanks,
Rog.

·
6,843 Posts
First check would be the under bonnet fuse box they can get water in them from rain leaks and/or coolant or washer fluid travelling up the wire and corroding the internals and cause lots of issues

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First check would be the under bonnet fuse box they can get water in them from rain leaks and/or coolant or washer fluid travelling up the wire and corroding the internals and cause lots of issues
Will it be obvious if its water damaged? Sorry to ask - I only get to see the car once a day when we have lunchbreak. This thread may run and run.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
ECU does not control the fan or a/c. Typical of idiots to blame the ECU when they dont have a clue.

Problem is most likely a bad connection somewhere as stated above. Apart from checking fuse box and bsi connections and fuses, go through all loom ground connections and main grounding points. Dont just look but remove, clean lightly grease and replace. Also check that connector pins are not bent/broken etc.

Oh, and get the battery thoroughly checked/load tested as a weakened battery can cause all sorts of issues/electrical gremlins.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ECU does not control the fan or a/c. Typical of idiots to blame the ECU when they dont have a clue.

Problem is most likely a bad connection somewhere as stated above. Apart from checking fuse box and bsi connections and fuses, go through all loom ground connections and main grounding points. Dont just look but remove, clean lightly grease and replace. Also check that connector pins are not bent/broken etc.

Oh, and get the battery thoroughly checked/load tested as a weakened battery can cause all sorts of issues/electrical gremlins.
Thanks everyone for your help. It makes me feel better that my gut feeling is more in the right direction rather than the garage.

First plan tomorrow is to pull the battery and check that fusebox, and have a general look over the car, it'll be the first look from me. Will report back with any news.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If Every time she unlocks the car, the engine fan starts up!, it mean that there is engine troubles - check it for errors by any tools like FAP, or PP2000

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will I checked all over, fuse box shows no sign of water ingress, and got to as many earthing points as I could with no change. The garage who said it was ECU have noted a fault (but will not disclose the code) showing a short on the fan control switch. I'm taking a punt and have ordered a new resistor for the fan unit 1267 J6.

I know it's a punt, but its only £30 for a genuine part. there aren't that many parts on this circuit to go wrong in the first place :p

I have a gut feeling, and my gut is usually pretty good. I know I'm not mechanic, but I'm a good DIY'er - have been self helping on my cars for 16 years now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It is good if you have solved it.
Can you provide me a synonym to the word 'punt'. That is probably a thermal fuse, is it?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you provide me a synonym to the word 'punt'. That is probably a thermal fuse, is it?
To take a punt is to bet on something. So I'm taking an (educated) guess that the resistor is shorting out, and providing no resistance to the current and thus spinning the fan all the time.

The part is on its way, so I'll update again when fitted.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
"Punt" is normally a term used in gambling. Usually it means having a guess at the result, trusting to luck.

In the context of the post, he is going to try a resistor, hoping it will work.

Roger.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I was right. Exchanged the resistor this morning and all in the car is well again.

Air con activating, and fan coming on after a hard drive (and turned off again!).

Thanks all for the words of wisdom.

·
Registered
27 Posts
To take a punt is to bet on something. So I'm taking an (educated) guess that the resistor is shorting out, and providing no resistance to the current and thus spinning the fan all the time.

The part is on its way, so I'll update again when fitted.
Oh man :), i've got it, it was so stupid :)

Yes, you've made the right bet, but all you only should do, it just replace thermal fuse of 184° (?) 10 Amps - just clear it up in your car maker documentation. Or it was the main fuse for the engine fan.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Sometimes meanings get lost in translation. No doubt there are Russian phrases that would confuse us in the UK.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm not sure why the fan would come on when the doors are unlocked. If they came on with the ignition i would say the coolant temp switch orthe air con pressure switch has a fault. Both of these would put the fans on.Idealy you need scan data to show the values or use a volt meter or scope to check the sensors themselves

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not sure why the fan would come on when the doors are unlocked. If they came on with the ignition i would say the coolant temp switch orthe air con pressure switch has a fault. Both of these would put the fans on.Idealy you need scan data to show the values or use a volt meter or scope to check the sensors themselves
Resolved this a few days ago, it was the fan resistor...

·
Registered
884 Posts
symbol in book shows a variable resistor (thermister?)

guess its part of the circuit that puts the fan on a hot engine even without the ignition on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts